No announcement yet.
X

1988 Suzuki Katana "Country Brawler"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to get the sprockets / chain out this afternoon to box it up and ship it out. Can't find it for anything. I had it in a box with some other odds and ends....turns out it was thrown out because it got scooted over near the trash pile...

Sorry man....

Comment

Hey, no problem. Once I get the swing arm and rear wheel off, I can check over that chain and see how bad off it really is.

I'm fairly certain I can just soak it in CLR and then oil it up really good and that should take care of it. If not, new chain is cheap at the tractor store.

Took the carbs apart today, all except the jets and floats.

They must've been drained by the PO before the bike was parked nearly 2.5 years ago, because they were all clean inside, with the exception of #4 carb, which must have had some condensate stuck in it, because there is considerable oxidation on the throat and inside the bowl area.

I'm going to steam clean the Mikuni bodies and spray the outsides of them flat black, then spray the bowls and diaphragm covers in candy blue.

Of course, all from a rattle can.

Note the little manila envelopes which contain small parts and screws, labeled for contents. They were $0.06ea, so I bought whatever was left in the box... some 130 of them. I also bought paper keytags, which come in handy for labeling larger parts and keeping keys and other things in order. They were $0.03 each, bought 100.

Some things worth noting while disassembling the carbs:
      1. The #2 and #3 carbs' upper vent coupler was missing (or isn't there one?)
      2. I found 2 small BB thingys that I have no idea where they came from... will have to check fiche for them.
      3. #135 main jets
      4. #155 accelerators
      5. Almost every screw was partially damaged during removal... they're all getting replaced with allen head screws.
      Last edited by Christ; 03-30-2010, 10:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

Bought the M5 and M4 screws I needed to put the carbs back together, should be ready to get started on it next Monday night.

The screws that I'm replacing while reassembling the carbs are the 16 screws (8 per tie rail) that hold the 4 carbs in assembly, the 16 diaphragm cover screws, and the 16 bowl screws.

They're getting replaced with normal gray/black alloy socket head hex screws.

I still have to get some cleaning solution for the bodies, and finish disassembling the throttle parts for paint.
        Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

Comment

If you sandblast the carb bodies with baking soda they come out looking brand new. I was really impressed with how my carbs looked after I did them. I just put 5 - 2lb boxes of household baking soda in my sand blaster and had at them. I do believe there is a post floating around where someone did it without a blast cabinet though.

Oh... and #135 main jets are HUGE. Youll need atleast a K&N Filter and full exhuast to run something that big. You may wat to go a bit smaller... maybe start with something in the range of #110-#120
          Last edited by HemiKat; 04-07-2010, 10:21 PM.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

:shrug: That's what's in it now, I didn't do it. It did have an aftermarket exhaust, and I'm assuming it also had pods on it, because it did not come with an airbox.

I'd prefer to keep it stock, though.

I don't have a sandblaster, either. I used to have a shaker, which worked great with anything abrasive (like powdered ceramic, salt, plain sand, etc.), but it broke down and I sold it before I ever got around to fixing it.

I know I gotta get some gumption back and get working on this piece...

Also, the fiche at bikebandit.com says that #135 is the right size for the mains in the 1988?!
            Last edited by Christ; 04-08-2010, 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I've got a stock 600 airbox you can have for shipping...BUT I'm PRETTY SURE that the 88 carbs are different size than the 90-97 carbs.

Comment

Yes, the 88 carbs are a different size than the other years.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yes, for the carbs, airbox.... 88-89 600cc models are different than any of the other years... and for those parts, not very interchangalbe at all.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

good luck mate

Comment

Well, I did some more work on the bike, finally.

I got the whole thing stripped down to the frame, so as soon as I get a chance to go back to my Father's house (storage) I can get the other frame over here and get working on cleaning everything up and putting it all back together. I'm just working on it at leisure, right now, to be honest. I'm using it as my "screw this" outlet.

I didn't take any pics the last time I was in the basement, and I haven't put the carbs back together yet, because the screws I ordered are too long. I'm going to trim them down, but I also have to finish a couple other projects that are hanging out in the garage, taking up space, so everything happens in due time.

As for the airbox, I'm probably not going to bother with a stocker, I'm sure I'll make something work, probably something that isn't normally found on a bike.

I did order a set of front calipers, and got them just today in the mail. When I get a chance to work on them, I'll get some before/after pics.

I haven't taken the time to inspect the chain to see if it's salvageable or not, but the rear sprocket, at least, looks to be pretty new, or lightly used. The teeth aren't really worn, that I could see.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the tank, yet, as far as that dent. I was kinda thinking about denting the other side and "finishing" the dents, so that they have clean creases, like a cafe-style mod tank, but on the other hand, I can probably fit a dolly into the tank with some creative tooling, and beat that dent back out to a fair approximation of the correct shape, then fill the rest with epoxy and sand/coat the tank.

Thinking of some flat or matte finish color, as well... not black, at least not fully.

Comment

WOW, good luck! But it does look like fun.
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                        Black painted seat and rear trim,
                        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Chain and rear sprocket are no good. Chain is serviceable, but not worth it.

Replacing the clip-on bars (just the bars, leaving the clips) with cut BMX bars in a relaxed arc position.

Ignition and headlight/running light controls will be handled by a custom switch panel under the rail.

Chopping back seat and shortening seat sub-frame down to single rider, but relocating the tail grab mounts so I can leave it on.

Still not totally sure about what headlight, tail light, or gauges to use.

Still haven't cared enough to measure the bearing size on the ZX-6 wheels.

Brought my titled frame home and started putting stuff together again. Front end is back on, but not sure if I'm going to be keeping the Kat front end or swapping it for XS1100 front.

XS1100 gauges are the most likely candidates right now.

Comment

New bike, 01 750. Sold the 88 to a buddy that needed a titled frame for another project, and I got this once cheap.

Comment

So parts are being picked up for the new Country Brawler project...

So far, I've brought in a Hayabusa front end, gotta get bearings and a washer for that.

Just bought a Buell X1 subframe/tail and an R6 seat.

Still debating on whether or not to use the Hayabusa swingarm. I may source out a CBR600 unit.

Comment

(of the new bike)

Comment

Working...
                                X