X

82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Bike is finally getting a little attention as enough parts got acquired to motivate me to tear it down go for it. Tore down and blasted, primed and shot the frame with urethane automotive paint.

Cleaned and mounted engine back in the frame, rebuilt the carbs and started refurbishing all the parts as they went back together. A little bit each day and no hurries. Parts arrived today to rebuild works shocks and now that its a roller I am even more motivated.

First pics were as I started tear down to as it is now. Haven't done the tank yet, but I have worked on the cowl and a few other parts. Bike had supertrapp stainless headers and exhaust as well. I will update pics as I go.
    Attached Files

Awesome. I'm going to start mine in a little while.

Comment

Looks nice! Major improvement on the frame
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Good God she was rough... great work, nice to see an old bike bought back to life

More please

Colin.
        Carpe Jugulum...
        1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

She looks great! What a difference! Keep the pics coming.
          GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Wow, quite a transformation! Where did you get the bike, had it been left in the weather?
            Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
            Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. The bike was outside when I found it leaning against a trailer in South Louisiana. As rough as it was with the whole front end having to be scrounged up is why it took me awhile to get started. I wouldn't go through the work involved it wasn't a bike I thought would at least be worth the effort when I was done. Never get my time out of it, but that's the fun part. I should be able to get the money spent out of it anyway. Never thought I would find a Kat.

Bike was purchased from original owner for a good price. I have original title, paperwork from bank on financing when new, original documentation on the works shocks, sections of service manual and even an old polaroid of the bike new in his driveway. I knew it would take time and patience to get original parts in good condition at the right price.

Frame off ground up was the only option because of the condition and once I finished the frame, it still sat another year before I spent a couple days cleaning up the engine, mounting it in the frame and bringing it to a "roller" anyway. I polished the rest of the case covers and started sorting out he harness from the 3 or so I have picked up in the last few years.

I took a few pics of seat and cowl, primed the cowl already but have a lot of items that need attention.
              Attached Files

Comment

How could anyone let a thing of beauty get so bad ??

Well done you, more please

Colin.
                Carpe Jugulum...
                1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

What a great project. Post a pic of the polaroid

Comment

I can post a pic of the documents I got with it, check out the date acquired on the only title for this bike. Got a whole time capsule of info. It is a mystery how someone who obviously cared for this bike could let it go like that. Stuff happens.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by branumhawk; 05-02-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

That is awesome!!!

Comment

Nice work.
                        G
                        GSX1000SZ-My Beloved Rat http://photobucket.com/GIABLO-MOTO 714-461-9607 [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
                          I can post a pic of the documents I got with it, check out the date acquired on the only title for this bike. Got a whole time capsule of info. It is a mystery how someone who obviously cared for this bike could let it go like that. Stuff happens.
                          That's cool. I think it's cool having original documents and photos, etc. It adds to the "history" of the bike, keeps its old memories, alive....
                          GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Outstanding work...love the pics.
                            @Joe...post some pics of that Cooley bike brotha!
                            79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

I picked up a bike in New Orleans a couple years ago that also a history and box of stuff from the owner, even a vintage cap. Should have kept it when I finished it. I had a kz1000 rat at the time, this one is a 76 KZ900-A4 with B1 pipes. Off topic pic, but we are talking about history with a bike.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X