X

How/when to adjust chain? (02' 600)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How/when to adjust chain? (02' 600)

My bike did not come with a manual, so I'm not sure when I should be adjusting the chain. I'm sure was tightened when I had a recent tune up, but sure seems loose when going slow in certain gears.

Anyhow have a link for detailed instruction or pics?

Thanks!!

I'm sure there is a link somewhere
    I'm betting a search is going to reveal alllllllll
    kinds of posts..

I check mine every week or before any railing.

Comment

From: CyberPoet's "Understanding Motorcycle Chain Wear, Maintenance, Adjustments and Replacement"

Katana Adjustment (I recommend 1.0 to 1.1" for maximum chain life):

Replacement Test (note that this picture exagerates the distance -- if you can get 2mm between the sprocket & chain at this point, time to order a replacement set of chain & sprockets):

For more info, read the page listed at the top of this post.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I can hear when mine is loose. It make a different sound.

Loosen the nut on the axle, then adjust per CP's post. Then retighten.

Use a new cotterpin, or get a hitchpin to put in there.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

A hitchpin is a good idea. I've never thought of it.

Comment

I think I read it here somewhere to tell the truth..
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

That page is a good write-up on chains and the methods of their failure. The importance of keeping a chain well-lubricated cannot be overstated. IIRC the manual says to do this about every 1,200 miles. Once a week is not excessive, IMHO.

To adjust, if you've got too much slop:

1. Put bike on center stand

2. Pull cotter pin from rear axle bolt

3. Loosen rear axle bolt & nut a little (doesn't have to be real loose, you can leave the bolt/nut in place, just loosen it to the point where you can slide the wheel & axle back & forth in their slotted holes.

4. Using a 10mm wrench, tighten the adjusting nuts at the rear of the swing arm either side. This will pull the wheel towards the rear of the bike. If you get it too tight, just loosen the nut a bit. Check the calibrated scales on either side of the axle (near the axle bolt/nut) to make sure you have the wheel evenly aligned and straight. For example, if you require four tick-marks worth of tension on the left side, make sure the tensioner is adjusted to four tick-marks on the right side as well or else the wheel will sit crooked and you'll wear down your tires, chain, etc. due to eccentricity.

5. Once both sides are equal and the rear wheel is straight, check the chain tension. Make any minor adjustments to the tensioners as necessary, keeping the left & right sides even.

6. When you're satisfied, torque down the axle bolt & nut and replace the cotter pin.

7. Lube up the chain, go test ride it.
              ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
              Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Originally posted by POP944
                That page is a good write-up on chains and the methods of their failure. The importance of keeping a chain well-lubricated cannot be overstated. IIRC the manual says to do this about every 1,200 miles. Once a week is not excessive, IMHO.
                My copy of the owner's manuals sez... clean every 600, lube more often than that. I usually add lube every fuel fill-up, esp. when I'm touring. Meanwhile, I have a new Lubetronic oiler for sale if you don't like to bother lubing your own chains (it does it automatically for you).

Originally posted by POP944
                4. ...Check the calibrated scales on either side of the axle (near the axle bolt/nut) to make sure you have the wheel evenly aligned and straight.
                Those scales float because of how they are mounted. To get anything approaching an accurate reading, push them forward all the way against the stop. Or use a chain alignment tool instead.

PS - Make sure you retorque the rear axle to 42 lb-ft or whatever the spec is for your year/model.

OLD TYME BIKER'S TRICK:
                if you already have your wheel aligned right, turning both adjusters exactly the same amount won't knock it out of adjustment. Thus, I pay attention to how much rotation each one gets, and rotate in 1/8ths or 1/4 turns.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys!!! Great info, I'll do it up this weekend.

Comment

can someone recommend a good chain lube?
                    I love my Kat!!
                    2000 burgandy 750

Comment

The Suzuki stuff (yellow spray can) is good but it's kinda' gloppy and grey. Lately I've been using the Castrol synthetic chain wax (green spray can), which sprays on white and is also very good and clingy. Smells a lot better too.

Both seem to give good results. Whatever you use, just use it often and you should have good results too. I think the slight differences in lube quality are probably more than offset by frequency of oiling and chain cleaning.
                      ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                      Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Originally posted by Katlover13
                        can someone recommend a good chain lube?
                        I use the Honda white graphite no sling stuff. I use about a can a season.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

3-in-1 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
                            3-in-1 oil.
                            I know you're just screwing with people now.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

WD 40 always worked for granpa...

Seriously, always use a chain-specific lube. Oil will just sling off.

Comment

Working...
                              X