X

Parking light key turn solved!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking light key turn solved!!!!

So I noticed on a different thread about the parking lights that a lot of people couldn't turn the key to "park" on the bike on, although they could get it in the "lock" position. This should solve your issue if you fall in this category. (note this is a post Katana)

In the pictures the "pink" section of the key is the forward position for the rest of the instructions.

In the first pic the key is in the off position, from here move the key to the lock position shown in the second pic. Now press the key forward toward the word "lock" on the ignition, you won't hear a click, but you will feel a tumbler being pressed against. You you should be able to turn it to park while it is pressed against the tumbler.

I don't think all Katanas are like this, so I am guessing it is from being worn out over time. On my first ignition I could just move it to park, but after the bike was stolen and the ignition had to be replaced, this is what I had to do to get it in park, although I haven't used it . . . yet.

Hope this helps some of you!
    Attached Files
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages.

I dont think bikes should have a "park"
    its just a good way to accidently run down your battery
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
      I dont think bikes should have a "park"
      its just a good way to accidently run down your battery
      Supposedly it is for the chance you break down and want to have the parking lights on without killing the battery quickly and so a car will see it on the side of the road and not hit it.

With that being said, I am about to take the wire from the third eye and run it to a switch so it won't come on when I have the bike on unless I flip the switch. The switch is already run for my ground effects, so it can be on when the bike is on or off. I will also run the soon to be installed Halos the same way.
      All the world's a stage,

Comment

1.) If you spend that much time with the bike parked, dont turn the key to P.

2.) If you spend that much time in a parking lot with other motorcycle riders, you need to quit the douchebag scene ASAP.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          1.) If you spend that much time with the bike parked, dont turn the key to P.

2.) If you spend that much time in a parking lot with other motorcycle riders, you need to quit the douchebag scene ASAP.
          LMFAO! Well said!
          All the world's a stage,

Comment

On my 94 750 kat the park light comes on when i lock the handle bars. Not sure why but when i bring it to the mechanic next I am going to have him disable this. I always feel better with my bike locked and the brake light killed my battery once because i did not notice it. is there a simple fix to disable this?

Comment

On a normal Kat, you lock the bars, press DOWN on the key, and turn it more. Takes some effort and shouldn't just go all the way to Park without an extra press down.

Comment

According to what I've read, it's a hold over requirement from bikes sold in Europe. My Sprint also has a P setting.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  According to what I've read, it's a hold over requirement from bikes sold in Europe. My Sprint also has a P setting.
                  Interesting, I don't think my 636 does...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I had to jiggle the key a bit to get to the "park" position. Of course, the one time I used it, I ended up having to bump start the bike.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

mine has always worked, I'm not sure this was a "problem" to be "solved".

the factory user manual tells you about the park key position, 98-02 at least, on page 13.

See My Garage for mods...
                      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
                      X