X

UPDATE: 2002 Katana 600 build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: 2002 Katana 600 build

Hey guys, I'm excited to announce that I have begun work on my pride and joy with a healing pile of new parts laying out in front of me. I'm excited to begin this build and will keep you guys up to date every day that I build!

As of right now, I have a black shorty GP Exhaust, header wrap, bondo, new front rim, new chain and sprockets, full tune up, new tires on order and much more to come!

My bike right now looks absolutely atrocious with stickers everywhere because the previous owner painted over the original factory yellow paint scheme which upon closer inspection under the tank guard was in great shape prior to the shotty paint job. My bike has minor stress cracks in the typical places but I'm going to use Plumber grade ABS weld on it in order to fix that situation. I did the same process on my 1991 CR250r and the bike came out looking brand new.(I'll attach some pictures of both bikes!) The bike is coming together beautifully in my mind and I hope my creativity is able to become a reality. I'm going to detail the entire engine while I'm in the process of it just because I'm a little OCD when it comes to my bikes.

Questions and Concerns:
    My bike has 33,xxx miles, what sort of things should I look into? The right side cover looks as if it has a leak, I'll post images today at some point of the leak.

My bike doesn't have a center stand, how can I go about taking my rims and tires off without scratching or harming any important parts?

The front rim has a flattened section, will it be able to be fixed? I will also post pictures of this tomorrow.

Items I'll be selling from the bike:
    D&D slip on Exhaust
    Swing arm
    Attached Files
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
    ~Author Unknown

you could spray tint your blinkers? If your rims have a flat spot id get new ones, i bought mine both rim and tires for 40 bucks off Craigslist. Also did a 02 kat build but mine was far worse you can check out my garage to see what i did.

Comment

How much do you want go the d&d exhaust? ?
      "Oh I will tag you back !!"

Comment

Eh, not that much..What are you willing to give me? I'm willing to give you the entire pipe and will chrome polish it prior to sending it out. It has some dings and scratches on the can from the previous owner but nothing too major

OFFICIAL PROJECT PARTS LIST!
        Pirelli Sport Demon Touring Front and Rear Tires
        Ivan's Performance Products Jet Kit
        New front and rear brake bads
        Stainless Steel brake lines
        New Starter
        Zero Gravity Windscreen
        T-Rex Swingarm Spools, Bar ends and Frame Sliders
        Race Style Gas Cap

All said and done I have estimated to spend around roughly $1500 on the bike but I plan on keeping it so I believe that it will be well worth it in the end!
        Last edited by fury8793; 10-25-2014, 03:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Sno3man View Post
          you could spray tint your blinkers? If your rims have a flat spot id get new ones, i bought mine both rim and tires for 40 bucks off Craigslist. Also did a 02 kat build but mine was far worse you can check out my garage to see what i did.
          The previous owner laid the bike down on each side and they are cracked, with a hole in the middle otherwise I would..

Other question for you guys, clean, install my jet kit and sync them myself or send them out to a shop to do it? Is it fairly easy or will I be banging my head off of a wall? A thread link would be awesome!
          Last edited by fury8793; 10-25-2014, 04:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          ~Author Unknown

Comment

Anyone can install a jet kit and sync carbs. Quick internet searches will show you all you need to know. Its fairly easy.

Comment

See carbs 102 in the wiki for a cleaning guide.
              Most mechanics don't know how to work with carbs anymore, probably better off doing it yourself.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Finally sending the carbs out to Arsenic today..

Sanding plastics and priming the plastics for paint! Also, painting my gutter guard for the mesh mod! Fire engine red or a deep red metallic..decisions, decisions..
                ~Author Unknown

Comment

Full Price breakdown of parts if anyone is interested:

Mechanical
                  Pirelli Angel GT Sport Touring Front Tire
                  $121.99
                  - Rear Tire
                  $169.99
                  KG Clutch Factory - Pro Friction Disc set
                  $80.95
                  KG Clutch Factory - High Performance Springs
                  $14.95
                  Motion Pro Clutch Cable
                  $12.60
                  K&N Performance Oil Filter
                  $12.99
                  Ivan's Performance Jet Kit
                  $130.00

Appearance
                  Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windscreen
                  $94.95
                  Motion Pro Clutch Lever
                  $8.99
                  Motion Pro Brake Lever
                  $18.79

Misc.
                  Wheels Hydrodipping
                  $140.00
                  Carb Rebuild by Arsenic
                  Est. $350.00
                  Total:
                  $1156.20
                  ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X