X

chain is only tight in 1 spot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain is only tight in 1 spot

so i went to adjust my chain today and as i am spinning the tire the chain gets really tight in 1 spot and is loose all other time. is it time for new chain/sprockets?

anyone know a good place to buy them?
    Last edited by steve053136; 05-05-2008, 08:37 PM.

Yes on new chain and sprockets. I think I got mine at bikebandit if I recall correctly. I bought an ebay special the first time and the orings were popin' out after about 1000 miles. Junk!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

When I first got my Kat, the chain was tight in one spot. On closer inspection, I had one link in the chain that was almost completely work through, and it was causing the chain to appear very tight as that link would wind onto the sprockets, front and rear.

Now if it is a situation where the chain is getting tight at one point on the rear sprockets rotation, then it could simply be the sprocket is off center or bent.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by steve053136 View Post
        so i went to adjust my chain today and as i am spinning the tire the chain gets really tight in 1 spot and is loose all other time. is it time for new chain/sprockets?

Is it where the master link is rivited? If so it may have been compressed too tight before it was rivited on. If that's the case, you might be able to Dremel off just the master link and put a new one on. Of course that will depend on your wrenching abilities.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I hate to start a new one when I have a question so closely related. A buddy and I just put a new chain and sprocket set on his bike (05 Kat – 750) because the old chain was really tight in one spot and loose pretty much everywhere else. With the new sprockets and chain it is still doing the same thing. Not quite as bad but still very noticeable. The rear axle nut is torqued to the specified torque setting, the rear axle does not appear to be bent, and the sprockets do not seem to be out of round to the naked eye. We can't think of anything else for the life of us that could be causing this problem. Any ideas?
          2000 Katana 600 (Sold )
          2008 GSXR 600

Comment

cush drive (might be spelled wrong).... you know... the system that holds the sprocket assembly to the wheel...

anyways i would think it could be that... or possible a bent wheel somehow....

or like people said a messed up link but if you just put on a new chain and sprockets its prolly not that.... LOL.

Oh also make sure the tensioners are IDENTICAL on each side (yes i know that obvious but thought i would say it anyways...)
            THE EMAIL BANDIT
            F4 I stunted out
            Cbr900 (low and stretched)
            MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

Did you replace the shock absorbers between the wheel and the rear sprocket holder? Although that really shouldn't make a difference if the spacer and bearings are installed correctly come to think about it. Does it correspond with exactly one spot on the sprocket? Is it on the same spot on the sprocket if you rotate the sprocket 2 holes on the carrier?
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Zuzu,

Its easier to just reopen one post on the same topic and ask for help than it is to reopen mulitples. Either way you will still get the same responces from everyone here without having to look at 2 or 3 different threads you searched through.

BTW, Nice use of the search feature.

My responce in one of your other threads you posted to:
                Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Well, for one, for you to hijack a thread, its got to be an active thread with discussion LOL Since the last post was back in March of this year, Its not a hijack.. Just shows us you have enough brains to use the search button :::Applause::::

Now, as for the chain.. Brand new out of the package I am assuming.

Have you riden yet on the chain to break it in a little?
                Are you noticing the "tightness" in the area of the Master Link?

If no to the first question.. Go put a few miles on it first and see.
                If yes to the second question, then you might have installed the master link too tightly and now its binding the chain. No biggie, just dremmel or grind out the installed Master, grab another from the stealership for like 2 bucks and install, Just not so tightly this time.

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                X