X

Bandit chain tensioner not getting tight enough

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit chain tensioner not getting tight enough

So I did the bandit chain adjuster setup and it doesn't seem to be able to pull the chain far enough. I took the inner parts of the Kat and welded on the nut from the bandit and use the outside part from the bandit. Since I used the inner parts from the Kat I should be able to pull just as far back but thats not the case. Any ideas?
    EDIT:could this be a result of a really old loose chain?

I'm gonna replace the chain and sprockets soon so it should be fine but I've got it as tight as it will go with 1 1/4" slack(I usually would go to 1"). When I replace stuff I'm gonna look and see if there is a problem I just thought maybe someones seem this problem before...

Another thing is if you have tight spots in yer chain how do you fix that? it's not a lot but still...
    95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
    ---
    I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

What adjusters did you install? If they have the bolt centered on the adjuster, you can take your Kat adjusters, (the part that the axle goes thru) and just replace the plate that goes on the end of the swingarm. You may have to drill the hole a bit larger to fit the bolt. your bolt is bottoming out on your axle. Some Bandit adjusters are made with an offset bolt to avoid that problem.
    here is the info you need.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
    Last edited by Kfreak; 12-18-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
      What adjusters did you install? If they have the bolt centered on the adjuster, you can take your Kat adjusters, (the part that the axle goes thru) and just replace the plate that goes on the end of the swingarm. You may have to drill the hole a bit larger to fit the bolt. your bolt is bottoming out on your axle. Some Bandit adjusters are made with an offset bolt to avoid that problem.
      here is the info you need.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77783
      If I remember right it is slightly offset but idk if its enought to stop the problem. I could just go get a shorter bolt if thats the problem... The more I think about it thats probably it. Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

I used that thread in making mine but I don't see that issue mentioned. I have the same bandit tensioner done the same way.
      Last edited by niqbales; 12-18-2010, 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
      ---

Comment

I deleted all of my pic's. I did what you did and I am almost at the end of my adjustment. I'm not worried about it because I am doing the rear wheel swap right now and am using the larger axle that will take up the space in the Bandit adjuster. Be careful with the shorte bolt, you need at least 3/8th's threaded into the nut to be strong. The Kat's adjusters are a weak point, that's the reason for the change.
        Last edited by Kfreak; 12-18-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
          I deleted all of my pic's. I did what you did and I am almost at the end of my adjustment. I'm not worried about it because I am doing the rear wheel swap right now and am using the larger axle that will take up the space in the Bandit adjuster. Be careful with the shorte bolt, you need at least 3/8th's threaded into the nut to be strong. The Kat's adjusters are a weak point, that's the reason for the change.
          I can take it out and screw the bolt in till it hits the axle and mark it and just get/cut a bolt just the right length. If I had a new chain it would not be an issue, it pulls about 3/4 the full length.

Love to hear how it goes... I'll probably check mine out when I get a new chain.
          ---

Comment

That will work. I'm in the process of swapping front ends also. Just waiting for a rim.

Comment

I did mine a little different.

I cut the welds holding the stud into the 98+ kat adjusters, and removed the stud, leaving the hole the stud went thru.

then I tack welded the original nut from the adjuster bolt onto the outside rear of each Kat adjuster.

I then used the standard bandit cap and bolt.

I have a newish chain, and comparing to the bandit adjuster, i still have PLENTY of adjustment. if i need more, i can shorten the original bandit adjuster bolt.

also, be aware yo can just use the entire bandit assembly as is..

the Kat axle is 17mm, the Bandit is 20mm.. the adjusters are just to pull the axle back, and arent' really structural except for the spacer when the axle bolt is tightened.

i used my stock Bandit internals until i got around to modifying the stock Kat ones.
              Last edited by JayBell; 12-18-2010, 07:43 PM.

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

If you can't adjust it "enough" there's a chance that your chain is shot and needs to be replaced.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                  I did mine a little different.

I cut the welds holding the stud into the 98+ kat adjusters, and removed the stud, leaving the hole the stud went thru.

then I tack welded the original nut from the adjuster bolt onto the outside rear of each Kat adjuster.

I then used the standard bandit cap and bolt.

I have a newish chain, and comparing to the bandit adjuster, i still have PLENTY of adjustment. if i need more, i can shorten the original bandit adjuster bolt.

also, be aware yo can just use the entire bandit assembly as is..

the Kat axle is 17mm, the Bandit is 20mm.. the adjusters are just to pull the axle back, and arent' really structural except for the spacer when the axle bolt is tightened.

i used my stock Bandit internals until i got around to modifying the stock Kat ones.
                  This sounds pretty much what I did... Popped the stud of the Kat piece welded the Kat nut inside where the stud had been and used it with the bandit end cap.

If you just use the Bandit piece altogether you have to grind it down, at least for the pre its thicker and taller so it doesn't move without some serious persuasion. I actually consider grinding it down but if you look at the two tensioners side by side you'll see you can't pull the chain as tight with the Bandit assembly, even more restriction than I have now. It was a while ago but I put it on to see if it'd work but it only tightens to about the half way point of the notches on the swingarm. That would be good enough for a new chain but if you want to get the life out of your chain...

The way we did it is the best way because when your chain starts to wear out you're gonna reach a point you can't tighten it anymore, long before the end of the chains life with the whole Bandit setup...

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  If you can't adjust it "enough" there's a chance that your chain is shot and needs to be replaced.
                  There is still two notches left to go on the swingarm(3 1/4" from center of axle to end cap). That being said I do need to get a new chain soon.
                  Last edited by niqbales; 12-19-2010, 02:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  ---

Comment

Pretty simple test...

Remove the wheel. using only the axle and adjusters, tighten the adjusters as far as they will go. You SHOULD be able to make the axle tight against the rear of the axle slot.

If you can't, your moddified adjusters have been limited. If you can... well, you got no where else to go with the axle and definately need to replace that chain.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Pretty simple test...

Remove the wheel. using only the axle and adjusters, tighten the adjusters as far as they will go. You SHOULD be able to make the axle tight against the rear of the axle slot.

If you can't, your moddified adjusters have been limited. If you can... well, you got no where else to go with the axle and definately need to replace that chain.

Krey
                      If I got a shorter bolt for the tensioners I'd be able to do this but I'm ok for a few days. I'm gonna get a chain and sprocket and worry about a new bolt if I need to. My chain needs replacing so I don't know if I would ever need to go tighter than I am without using a chain past its wearing point. What I'll do is pick up a bolt 1/2" shorter to throw in my bike tool kit just in case.

I'm now going to proceed to another thread for suggestions on a new sprocket size...
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X