X

Any tips/tricks for glow gauges install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips/tricks for glow gauges install

So I did a search and read some things about people who were able to remove their cluster without taking off the fiarings and others who recommended takin the fairing off.

Tomorrow my gauges should come in from Speedwerks and will be putting it on. I also ordered the 7 blue, 3 green, and 1 red LEd to put those in as well.

Also do I just slip the new gauges on top of the old ones or actually remove the old ones and put the new ones in there place, since I keep seeing on Ebay and stuff about slip on covers no needle removal neccasry.

Personally I recommend taking off the fairings. It may take alittle xtra time to do so, but having all the room you need right out in the open without having to maneuver around and inside the fairing to try and work, is well worth it.

You dont need to remove the needles to put on the gauges. They slip right over the needles. Just do it slow and take your time. Dont remove the adhesive backing till you have the gauges in place where you want them. ... If you want to paint the needles orange, like some have done, you can of course and it does make them alittle easier to see, at night especially. I left mine alone and I really dont have any problems seeing the needle at night time or daytime.

Comment

You would have to have some afully small hands, and know where the 3 bolts where to not have to take the fairings off. Even then, I don't see how you could get it out without removing some fairings.

Go ahead and remove the fairings, it will be good practice for in the future when you have to repair something. I can remove mine in a matter of minutes, and have them back on just as quick. Of course, I have had mine pulled apart MANY times

Once you have the fairings pulled off, unplug the dash plug (pull the rubber dust cover down, and unclip it from the dash, then there will be 3 nuts, 10mm I do beleive, holding the housing into the dash. After you take that off, you will have a whole bunch of philips head screws that hold the dash together.

After you remove the screws, pull the dash apart, put on your new faces, but don't remove the backing until you have everything in place, because once they stick, they stick!

Good luck!
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Well I got er done.

She is looking sweeter than ever, whoever said they could remove the cluster without taking the fairings off has my greatest respect cuz those 3 nuts holding the cluster on were a pain in the arse to get back on with my big gorilla hands.

My only question though is what is the B/G toggle on the side do, i mean honestly they illuminate the guages blue anyways.

Comment

The toggle switch is the lower the brightness of the gauges. You can flip the little switch and make them alittle more dim, or keep it in the other position to make them brighter.

Comment

Working...
          X