X

2 Problems, Starter and Headlight Fuse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Problems, Starter and Headlight Fuse

Hey all, new to the list... Just bought a 96 750 Katana, and I have a few problems.

1: Starter. Bike starts just fine from cold. Starter kicks in perfectly. After the engine is warm, if you shut the bike off, and then try to restart it, it has a difficult time turning the motor over (difficult, as in, it'll try to turn it over, and stops, it won't continue to make the cranking noise). If you hit the start switch two or three times, it eventually turns over and starts just fine. I was told by the previous owner that it was the starter. He put a new battery in it and checked everything else. I bought a starter on ebay for $35 and plan to install it. Are there any gotchas? I assume I have to drain the oil, although I'm pretty new to motor cycles so I could be wrong. I just noticed the o-ring on the end.

2. I went to drive it on Saturday morning, and just by happenstance, I noticed the head light wasn't working. I replaced the fuse and everything seems fine. I've put 300 miles on it since then, with multiple starts, and it's still doing fine. Just wasn't sure if there was anything I should be looking for.

Common sense would tell me that there may be some underlying electrical problems, but I wanted the bike, and took a chance. Hopefully my purchase doesn't turn into a money pit.

Thanks everyone for thier help.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

My first recomendation would be to take the pod with the starter switch apart and check for Corrosion on the conections, I would also recomend doing the same for the headlight high/low beam switch.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Actually, you should not have to drain the oil on the engine to do the starter, the starter is on top of the engine I guess you could say.

What part of MN are you in? Are you far from Blaine? A member here UFO8MyCow has a shop out at the Anoke Blaine airport. He also knows a guy that does a lot of electrical work on bikes for hella cheap. Send a PM to UFO (Corey) if he is in your area, and I bet he could fix it for you for cheap.

And like fred said, check your actual button first for corrosion.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'll pull those switches apart tonight and clean them. The guy I bought the bike from is going to help me change out the starter (maybe, it hasn't been acting up much lately) and change the oil. I think Blaine is quite a ways away from south eastern mn, but I'm not sure. If things get too dicey, I'll look him up.

Thanks again, happy riding

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
        X