X

Ignition Advancer..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Advancer..

My kat can be quite tempermental on when I havent started her up in a couple days. 2000 Kat 750. Bought it about 4 months ago or so, still stock except for the mesh I just put on. I know kats can be abit hard to start in general, kinda cold-blooded, and I've heard an ignition advancer can really help this cause? correct? Plugs were changed by the dealer, although I didnt verify this since I have gotten it. I'll be changing them again b/4 the spring, always run good gas, doesnt burn any oil, runs great all the time, except when she sits for a few days..usually takes me about 10 cracks with the ignition b/4 it'll fire up and then im good to go.

Thanks

Seems like it helped mine out. I also noticed that it ran just a little smoother with a 5 degree advancer in. Most people will tell ya that it helps with starting the beast!!
    sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
    MSF Rider Coach 27028
    MoPowerSports.com
    Torco
    SoCalTrackDays

Comment

If she doesn't want to start from a cold start, take a close look under your gas tank at the fuel line(s) and in-line filters. If you have a clear filter, can you see gas in it?

The primary reasons a bike won't want to start in the first couple tries during warm weather are:
      (A) Fuel evaporated (fuel contains up to 35% aeromatic compounds by volume -- these are critical to both flamability/ignitiability, and to having your carbs filled -- when they evaporate off, your floats are low);
      (B) Inline fuel filter gone dry/empty, so it has to refill first before fresh fuel starts flowing to the carbs;
      (C) Poor spark at the plugs. Especially suspect if the choke cable has any resistance to speak of (because the choke may not be turning all the way off when you switch it off, keeping the plugs lightly fouled); remember that you shouldn't need more than 1/4 choke on an 80 degree day.

Try this:
      Set your bike to prime and leave it there for 30 seconds. Then switch back to "ON" and try starting as usual. Did it spring to life faster than previously?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the info, im gonna go try it now b/4 I go to work, cant ride today cuz of taking my son to the sitters b/4 work, but i'll give it a go quick and see what happens..back in a flash.

no dice poet, still the same..fired up after about 15 tries of the starter..it runs fine when im out riding and stop somewhere to eat, get gas or whatever, just when it sits for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
          no dice poet, still the same..fired up after about 15 tries of the starter..it runs fine when im out riding and stop somewhere to eat, get gas or whatever, just when it sits for awhile.
          Let me stop and think about this...
          Getting gas takes less than 5 minutes, which means the problem is there even if you're only shut down for five minutes.
          The PRIME test didn't address it (ruling out vacuum issues at the petcock) -- tonight, try it again with the bike left in PRIME instead of switching back to on (switch back after she starts instead of before -- this will test for vacuum issues in the vacuum line to the petcock).

I'm inclined to think that if it's happening when you get gas (which usually takes only a few minutes), that you've got a problem with the placement of an inline filter, so it's not filling correctly. The four other obvious possibilities are bad plugs, stuck (or partially-stuck) choke cable, water in the carbs (displacing fuel, so it has less to atomize), or need of a valve adjustment (poor compression to create vacuum on the carbs).

You're not having any symptoms once it's running, right?

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

when im out riding, it never shuts off, never gives me the slightest bit of trouble, runs like a champ. once i get it started, its perfect. if I stop at a restaurant, get gas, stop for a few minutes at work or whatever, I come back..it fires right up no problem...if it sits for more than im gonna say 4 or 5 hours or so (give or take ) thats when the problem starts.

i'll try ur advice tonite when i get home..it will have been sitting for about 8.5 hours or so by then.

I can see the choke cable move when i put it on full choke or even half as well.

Comment

i'll try ur advice tonite when i get home..it will have been sitting for about 8.5 hours or so by then.

I can see the choke cable move when i put it on full choke or even half as well.
              How'd it go?

As for the choke cable, if you have the tank off, you should see it move at the carbs even if you only move the control 1/8th inch.

One other thought: it might be wise to run some techron fuel system cleaner through with your next tank of gas. If you've got residues built up in some of your smaller carb passages, it will clean it out, improving fueling in the idle circuit... it's not a pancea (won't fix everything), but it's a cheap ($5) solution to many rudimentary carb-passage related ills. 1/3rd of a bottle to a tank of gas; pour in just before topping off.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

put in on prime, took about 12 starts for it to turn over, and of course it was fine then. Im gonna take a closer look at the choke cable in the morning and see as far down as I can with all the plastic on of course...I'll inspect it further when I take it off to winterize.

I'll try the fuel system cleaner at my next fillup.

Thanks!

Will fill you in more tomorrow morning with any new information I find.

Comment

Update..I ran it yesterday..came out this afternoon about 2pm to let it run for awhile, since I cant ride today ..damn near drained the battery trying to get it to turn over. Like usual, when I start it over the first time, she'll run for about 2 or 3 seconds then shut off..then I try the previously mentioned amount of starts, and she'll fire up. Today, once I noticed the starter seeminly working harder and harder, I stopped, waited about 10 minutes, came back, and it fired up for about 15-20 seconds, then died again. was very cold last nite, although bike was in garage.

As far as I know the battery is only a year old, but I dont know the brand name. What if I ran a space heater in the garage tonite, and kept it nice n toasty in there, then came out tomorrow morning..think that might have an affect in starting up easier. I've got a preliminary appt at the local dealer for th 18th, incase I cant get it solved before then.

Comment

UPDATE

I got her started!!! running as we speak!!!

Comment

As far as I know the battery is only a year old, but I dont know the brand name. What if I ran a space heater in the garage tonite, and kept it nice n toasty in there, then came out tomorrow morning..think that might have an affect in starting up easier.
                      Cold makes batteries temporarily weaker in cranking power (but excessive heat makes them lose capacity permanently). Do you keep your battery connected to a trickle charger (BatteryTender, etc) at all when you're not riding it?

Also saw you said you got it started today -- did it spring right on, or was it still a case of 10 to 15 starts to get her going, even after spending the night in a warm place?

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I fyou do decide on an Ignition Advancer, I have them here............I usually keep about 2 or 3 fo rmy rebuilds and I sell them to other Kat folks, too.

I use the Vance & Hines one,part # is V21236. They are $42 plus shipping, which is usually pretty cheap, 'cause they're small!

I like these better than the other ones out there........they are heavy duty steel machined from a casting, rather than a punched out piece of thin metal................

PM me anytime if you need one.
                        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I read this whole thread...............and I have an idea.........

Based on what you've described and what you've tried with Cyber's help..............

try this:

I think you're fuel line may be cracked or split or need replaced. Also, I've had a few of the newer Kats come thru here lately with fuel filters that were loose at the factory connection seam............I've been replacing them like made since June! They are only about $4 or $5 .....
                          You'd never go wrong just replacing that part anyway............

Good Luck, I'll stay tuned..............

BTW..........I'm also leaning towards that infamous choke cable. They seem to be problematic on Kats. (I also stock a few of those! hee-hee)
                          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                          X