X

97 2ND GEAR PROBLEM

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 2ND GEAR PROBLEM

I have the infamous 2nd gear problem on my bike. I can swap the engine faster than I can fix it, but this engine is strong and I hate to get rid of it. How much trouble is it to fix? I have two other lower ends I can snatch the gears out of. If anyone has a walk through of this they could post, maybe it could save a lot of us 97- riders a lot of money and time.
    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

I know where there's a walk-through for a Kawi ZX6, but not on the Kat. My bike has a dead 2nd gear, and after seeing what's involved, I bit the bullet and bought a nearly new engine for my Ninja.
    1994 Kawasaki ZX6E

Comment

I will probably end up doing just that. I have another engine that has a spun rod bearing in it and then another lower half, aside from my running engine I have now. I will probably buy another engine just for the quick swap and then tear down the other engines I have and rebuild them. That sounds like a good winter project for me and the knowledge i will gain from it will be invaluable

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

I had a pre98 engine with no second gear. When I considered all the parts I had to buy to fix the transmission gasket kit, transmission gears, couple specialized tools, etc it was actually cheaper to buy a 98+ engine. The engine has half the miles and 98+ don't have issues with 2nd gear.
        '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Yup that is probably the route i will go, Special K has several and has them priced right too!

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
            I had a pre98 engine with no second gear. When I considered all the parts I had to buy to fix the transmission gasket kit, transmission gears, couple specialized tools, etc it was actually cheaper to buy a 98+ engine. The engine has half the miles and 98+ don't have issues with 2nd gear.
            Any bike can have 2nd gear problems, including the 98+ Kats; they occur primarily from two reasons:

1. Rider action (shifting under too much load into 2nd -- especially downshifts from 3rd; incomplete shift movement first to second -- dancing gears; and general abuse during learning curves); plus...

2. Some of the metal components in the tranny are made of metals particularly suspectible to acid build-up in the motor oil, which weaks the metal and causes the oil not to provide adequate filming (known issue; one of the primary reasons JASO MA specs for oils have a low sulfated ash content limit).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If you are going to do the 98+ swap look for one that is 2000 or newer. I believe it was 2000 when the oil pump was redesigned for more output.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
                If you are going to do the 98+ swap look for one that is 2000 or newer. I believe it was 2000 when the oil pump was redesigned for more output.
                The oil pump volumes were incrementally increased in '99, 2000 and '01. I'm not sure if there were additional increases after that, but by the '01 model, the engine was pumping almost double the oil volume that was moved by the pre-98 models.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You know , I recently bought a parts bike that came with an extra engine . 750 parts bike (and engine) + 600 "extra" engine . I don't know much about the thing , but if you might want it...I guess maybe I'll be seeing you at the mini-rally ?
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

It looking like i am going to have to work all weekend now. If i do make it up there it will probably be late Sunday afternoon, by which time most people will probably be gone. I am always interested in all the parts i can come up with though.

Comment

Deranged & MD:

Looks like we'll have to talk engines this Sunday!!!!!!!!!

I'll try & stick around as late as I can........probably till about 3 or 4.......I have about a 6-7 hour drive home!
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                      X