Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

is covering the rear brake engaging the rear brake?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is covering the rear brake engaging the rear brake?

Do you guys ride with your right foot on the brake lever just resting on it I noticed I have been and im not sure if i should or not? I know its one of those questions but is riding with my foot on the lever actually engaging the rear brakes even if its not enough to toggle the brake light switch? Oh and while im on the subject what part of your foot are you supposed to have the peg under? Whatever is more comfortable?
    My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

Originally posted by wyzat520 View Post
    Do you guys ride with your right foot on the brake lever just resting on it I noticed I have been and im not sure if i should or not? I know its one of those questions but is riding with my foot on the lever actually engaging the rear brakes even if its not enough to toggle the brake light switch? Oh and while im on the subject what part of your foot are you supposed to have the peg under? Whatever is more comfortable?

Balls of your foot should rest on the pegs.

Covering the rear brake is the same as covering the front. Rest your hand/foot there in preparation of needing to use it.

Here's a tip:
    Adjust your rear brake lever "down" so that it's not as sensitive to your foot pressure. Helps prevent you from locking it up and the brake lights from coming on if you inadvertently put too much pressure on it. If it fully engages at say, the 9:00 position, adjust it to where it engages at 7:00.
    sigpic

Comment

awesome, thats about where it engages now I never really noticed where my feet where I just put them wherever they felt comfortable with my boots the peg seems to just rest in the middle of my foot because of the slight heal

Comment

Cover your rear brake?

YUT UGHHH!
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          Cover your rear brake?

YUT UGHHH!
          probably the most informative reply ever

Comment

Any amount of pressure on the lever will engage the brake. Same for a hydraulic clutch. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

cool i just wont rest my foot on it, not that i need to anyway it just happend my foot 'fell' there most of the time. I thought there mightbe some free play in it before the brake actually engaged.

Comment

i like shadow the brake with my foot, its over the brake pedal but not resting on it so the brake isn't always engaged
                1999 Katana 750

Comment

i rest my foot there some times... like when im lane splitting i need to cover the rear brake just in case. so i adjusted it to engage a lil later to accommodate my foot covering it.
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

You might check your rear rotor after riding for a bit to see if it's too hot - will tell you if you're putting too much pressure on the brake pedal. Consider, too, putting it on the center stand and see if the wheel rolls freely. If not, it may be time to rebuild that rear caliper.
                    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

To fight the urge to rest on the brake pedal, I rotate my toes out away from the bike a little bit and a little bit down when I'm just cruising. I try to always stay on the balls of my feet though.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                      X