X

New Paintjob!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paintjob!

I havent posted on here in awhile because I`ve been busy sanding and painting this beast 7hrs of sanding and half a day of painting later this is what she looks like! the difference is night and day!

I used Duplicolor ready to spray paint and primer from Advance, 2 coats of primer, 3 base coats (because I changed the color after the first coat lol) 3 clear coats. It started out as Midnight blue but it looked almost like the stock color because it had a green tint to it so I changed to Deep blue with metalic flake in it and I Love the color now! its perfect!! I used a 30 gallon compressor and a 1 qt spray gun to apply the primer and paint. I cannot believe how much better it looks!! this is the second thing I have painted with the spray gun, the first was a gocart, but this is the first real painting project I have taken on! 95% of it is prep work, painting is the easy part. Ok Pictures!!

This is what it looked like when I got it.

After sanding

1rst coat of primer

Front fender after clear coat

Main Fairing

Front Forks

Guages

And the Finished Product!!!
    Last edited by zuki-rider; 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Painting

Good job and good work. Post some pics of it all back together.

Jeff

Comment

Looks good!
      Former Marine 3/97-3/01
      MOS 0161 Semper FI!
      sigpic

Comment

Love the color!
        Bill
        1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
        sigpic

Comment

Do you plan to do more to it? Or are you just going to leave it that solid color?
          "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Thanks Everyone! I think I`m going to leave it a solid color for now because if I ever repaint it I dont want to haft to sand any decals off.. it took FOREVER to sand the stock ones off! I`ll get some better pics outside in the sunlight when this weather clears up. Still need to mount the rear turn signals and a few other odd`s and ends, then go get it inspected so I can get a tag.

heres my new helmet!

Comment

Man......that looks really nice. I am planning to paint my 89 600 as well, I have the gold rims and just cant think what color to use. I like the one you did........

Cool.......Nice Work......
              sigpic
              98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
              Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Great color and awesome job! Was it a single part clear coat?

Comment

man that looks awesome. I love the solid color look. Very simple and clean. I would just add a decal or two and call it good.

Comment

what paint gun did you use?

Comment

you should paint your helmet to match your bike
                      sigpic
                      If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

good job
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by GodJockey View Post
                          Great color and awesome job! Was it a single part clear coat?
                          I guess you could call it single part? All I know is the clear coat was seperate from the base coats. I used Duplicolor Automotive Ready to Spray Lacquer from the local Advance store.

Originally posted by kfreeman View Post
                          what paint gun did you use?
                          I used one that looked like this but was a made by Jet, it works really good!
                          http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHwQ8wIwBg#
                          Last edited by zuki-rider; 01-18-2011, 07:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                          X