X

Torquing the front axle.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torquing the front axle.

I recently took my wheels off to have new tires mounted. When reading the manual getting torque numbers, I noticed that the manual only talks about torque for an axle nut on the front. On my 06, there is no axle nut. The axle requires a 12mm allen wrench to tighten/loosen, and the "head" of the axle spins in the pinched side of the fork. Since there is quite a bit more drag on the axle spinning in the fork, rather than just tightening a nut, shouldn't the proper torque be higher?

If I remeber correctly there is a torque spec for the pinch bolt. You take the axle down tight then tighten the pinch bolt nut to right torque spec. have not seen a torque spec on the axle for those years.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I torque it to what the manual says for the earlier years, then torque the pinch bolt as well. Never caused me any problems that way.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
        If I remeber correctly there is a torque spec for the pinch bolt. You take the axle down tight then tighten the pinch bolt nut to right torque spec. have not seen a torque spec on the axle for those years.
        Not that your asking but, on my 2001 750 the torque for the axle is 44Nm (32 ft/lb) and the pinch bolt is 23Nm (16.5 ft/lb).
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

See if this helps These are for the 2004-2006 GSX600F & GSX750F

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That does indeed help!

The manual I downloaded here for post's lists the front axle "nut" as 32 lb-ft. That chart lists the front axle as 47. I thought it should be higher due to the friction of the axle rotating inside the area with the pinch bolt.

Thanks again, CP!!

Dan

Comment

Working...
            X