X

82 sitting 30 years where to start-

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 sitting 30 years where to start-

New to the forum- picked up a 82. Bike has been sitting since 1982 has 703 miles. Cleaned, fluids partially changed- bought a new battery, lights, dash come on nicely 12.5 volts, will not start, not starting as in nothing. I am not that great with electrical but can get by, any suggestions where to start? Waiting for manual from BB-
    Thanks
    George

Originally posted by GP3-69-442 View Post
    New to the forum- picked up a 82. Bike has been sitting since 1982 has 703 miles. Cleaned, fluids partially changed- bought a new battery, lights, dash come on nicely 12.5 volts, will not start, not starting as in nothing. I am not that great with electrical but can get by, any suggestions where to start? Waiting for manual from BB-
    Thanks
    George
    Disconnect all your connectors, clean them well, reconnect. Pay close attention to the red power cable from battery to solenoid and then from solenoid to starter. When done and while there, jump the solenoid to verify the starter will turn the motor over.

IF yes... check the rest of your connections and any safety switches like at the clutch lever.

If NO but the starter does "click"... then verify the engine is free and will turn. Verify the clutch plates are not stuck. If engine is fine, then pull the starter and open it up to verify it's not overly corroded inside.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have nothing to contribute to helping you, but I just found it amazing you came across one like that with only 700 miles on it.

Comment

Congrats! Great find....how about some pics...running or not.
        79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

After sitting 30 years the engine could be partially seized. Can you turn it over by hand? If not might want to pull the spark plugs and pour a little oil in the cylinders (I've heard great things about Marvel Mystery oil for this) and let it sit over night before trying again
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            After sitting 30 years the engine could be partially seized. Can you turn it over by hand? If not might want to pull the spark plugs and pour a little oil in the cylinders (I've heard great things about Marvel Mystery oil for this) and let it sit over night before trying again
            I use transmission fluid.

Comment

That there is a unicorn bike!

Seafoam Deep Creep is good for helping to free up the rings and make sure you don't snap something that hasn't moved for so long.

+1 on electrical. Hit each connection with some emery cloth and then use some dielectric grease when ya put them all back together.

I'd also put it up so the back wheel can spin, then see if you can work your way through the gear progression. That will help you know if you've got deeper issues with the clutch plates before you crack open the covers.

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
                Congrats! Great find....how about some pics...running or not.
                +1

Comment

[ATTACH]26341[/ATTACH]

Thanks for all the help- I think I'm going to bring it to a pro- to many factors that may be above my pay-grade
                  Last edited by GP3-69-442; 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Good luck, hope you find one that knows what their doing. Most of them have no clue how to work on a bike that old.

I just recently picked up the 93 600 I have. It sat since 2009, not even started in a year. I did have to push a little harder than normal to get it to turn over, I could hear it break free and then turned normal.

I also had no start from the switch. I jumped the solenoid and it turned over. Then I went to the e-stop switch in the right bar. Cleaned that switch up and she cranks over without pause now.

Electrical stuff can be a little tricky, but generally, if you can trace a wiring diagram, you can see how it flows to get to where you want the power to be. then identify the components it has to go through to get there, eliminate them one by one and you eventually get to the problem.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
                    1993 Suzuki Katana 600
                    1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                    X