Katana Sword

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Sword

Hi guys,
    I found this on a car site here in South Africa. I found this so interesting as it was not something I was aware of so I thought I would post it here for all you lovers of vintage Kats
    Cheers
    Mel
    Hi All
    I know this is a car site, so posting bike related posts may be frowned upon...(Admin delete if necessary), but maybe someone on this site would be able to shed some light on my question.

I have an '83 Suzuki Katana GSX1100SZ in my little collection and have heard that at some stage the bikes came with a numbered Katana sword when purchased new.

The Katana had, and still has, quite a cult following in SA .. especially in the south of Johannesburg in the old days.... so maybe some of the older guys on the site may know a bit about the sword story.
    Cheers
    Carsick

Hi Carsick,
    My names Brad Zeeman from a dealership called Zeeman Suzuki, when the Katanas first came out, on the first shipment only you received a gold Katana sword. After that 1st shipment you only got the bike and no sword. I actually have one at home.
    Hope this answers your question
    Thanks Brad

So the Katana sword with the bike is not just an urban legend. I wonder how many of them are still around from that 1st shipment?
    Pretty good idea from Suzuki to add a sword to that legend of a bike .. just wish I had one to compliment my bike ..
    Cheers
    Gary
    Unquote
    If I had known that I would have gone out and bought my Kat sooner. I lost out there!!
    MelWain

Originally posted by Mel Wainwright View Post
    Hi guys,
    I found this on a car site here in South Africa. I found this so interesting as it was not something I was aware of so I thought I would post it here for all you lovers of vintage Kats
    Cheers
    Mel
    Hi All
    I know this is a car site, so posting bike related posts may be frowned upon...(Admin delete if necessary), but maybe someone on this site would be able to shed some light on my question.

I have an '83 Suzuki Katana GSX1100SZ in my little collection and have heard that at some stage the bikes came with a numbered Katana sword when purchased new.

The Katana had, and still has, quite a cult following in SA .. especially in the south of Johannesburg in the old days.... so maybe some of the older guys on the site may know a bit about the sword story.
    Cheers
    Carsick

Hi Carsick,
    My names Brad Zeeman from a dealership called Zeeman Suzuki, when the Katanas first came out, on the first shipment only you received a gold Katana sword. After that 1st shipment you only got the bike and no sword. I actually have one at home.
    Hope this answers your question
    Thanks Brad

So the Katana sword with the bike is not just an urban legend. I wonder how many of them are still around from that 1st shipment?
    Pretty good idea from Suzuki to add a sword to that legend of a bike .. just wish I had one to compliment my bike ..
    Cheers
    Gary
    Unquote
    If I had known that I would have gone out and bought my Kat sooner. I lost out there!!

You wouldn't have gotten one then even... the bike buyers didn't get one.

The suzuki dealership got 1 sword on it's first purchase for the bikes to sell to thier customers. The sword didn't get passed along.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Bastids!!!!
      79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Indeed - bastards!!!
        MelWain

Comment

hmm...thats got me thinking..

I have a decent collection of blades an now I wanna customize one to match my bike! My only concern is how the law would feel about a fella riding with a sword on his back or mounted to the bike : Maybe if I make one without a blade, just a sheath an handle for looks?
          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post

I have a decent collection of blades an now I wanna customize one to match my bike! My only concern is how the law would feel about a fella riding with a sword on his back or mounted to the bike : Maybe if I make one without a blade, just a sheath an handle for looks?
            Nah! Go big or go home!!!
            MelWain

Comment

Originally posted by Mel Wainwright View Post
              Nah! Go big or go home!!!
              Nah I'd rather go HOME than go to the BIG HOUSE! I dont find jail fun

Comment

I actually kinda like these too..

However they just look dangerous I feel like I'd stab my hands or cut my grips :

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post

Most states would restrict transportation of a real Katana (or one of the similiar weapons of other sizes) to "home to dojo and back".

Even a realisitic faximile of one using a boken or wooden carved blade can fall under these laws.

There are a multitude of super cheap sword like objects you could rip the blade out of to have just the handles matched to a scabbard for decoration if you wanted.

I probably would suggest a more practical route of using painted murals or vinyl decals/cutouts to add the flavor to the bike though.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

There are a multitude of super cheap sword like objects you could rip the blade out of to have just the handles matched to a scabbard for decoration if you wanted.

Krey
                    Thats basically what im saying. So when your stopped there is no real danger you present. I dont have any decals saying Katana so it may be a bit difficult to explain why im carrying a fake sword

Comment

Working...
                    X