No announcement yet.
X

Carburetor nightmare

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Sunrise, they are very good, if you need parts for it go their parts and see if Doug still works there, he knows parts and these very well. Keep in mind my info is also 10yrs old.

Take tank off, with fuel hose and filter attached, place it on stand and turn petcock valve to see if there is good flow. Of course catching the fuel. With the exception of vacuum source this will eliminate fuel delivery issues.
    I would still test secondary and primary ignition
    Last edited by rperry03; 08-19-2017, 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I've already eliminated that possibility, as I've tried manually feeding the carbs like I did in that video.

I'm going to test the ignition.

Comment

The video was fuzzy on my end. The engine is most likely sound. Ignition or carbs. If ignition test out good, have you posted what jet sizes are in which locations to see if the sizes are typical and in correct locations? Some of the gurus on here might give them thumbs up or see something odd

Comment

Put your hand over the intake hole, does it run better or worse?

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I ended up taking the bike to a dealership.

They diagnosed it and said it was a carburetor issue. I had them clean the carbs and swap the master link from the clip I installed to the rivet one I had. $559. I go to pick it up last night, bike doesn't start. It was after hours for the service department so the only people there were the sales guys, who told me I should complain in the morning. I was stupid and paid before I saw if it ran.

Left the bike there, call this morning and ask the mechanic what the actual problem is now that carbs are ruled out 100%. He tells me there's rust in the tank and I need new coils. He never told me why I need new coils or why the ones I had didn't work. He actually hung up on me after saying "YEAH, YOU KNOW BETTER THAN ME." Well in this case it's true, I was pretty confident that the carbs were clean and my coils tested good. I ran out of time and ideas so I took it to the "pro" who I thought could get me fixed up.

This is after I saw that he took my new coils off the bike and put the old ones on. He also lost my vacuum hose.

He claimed I need new intake boots as well, but I don't understand that either. New o rings and tested them for leaks myself, those were never an issue.

He already scammed me once, said cams had to be taken out for a valve adjustment? I didn't see anything about that at all in the valve guide. He also said it had "finger valves."

The bike is still sitting at the shop right now, I'm currently on the way to college and am not able to go get it. The mechanic was NOT happy when I told him my bike didn't run last night, he claimed my carbs were just dry. That's impossible because they were full of fuel and the bike started, ran like shit, died when given any throttle, and died at idle as well.

I don't know what I'm going to do with it at this point, I may end up trashing it. I really can't afford to send it to another shop, especially when I get treated like shit every time I tell them they did something that wasn't to my satisfaction. I knew the dealer would be expensive, but I thought I was going to get it done right.

Right now I'm trying to arrange for it to be towed home on a truck, probably another $200 that I don't have. I trailered it myself over there though. If that doesn't go through, I don't know what I will do to get it home.

I'm trying to figure out why the hell I just let myself eat $500. He didn't do shit that I didn't do, lied about the diagnosis being carbs, and then took my cash anyway. I knew my carb work was good, I went through them with a fine tooth comb. That's cocky, but I'm sure you guys understand the feeling when someone who supposedly knows more than you actually knows less. "Factory trained technicians" my ass. I'm wondering if I have any options to file complaints over false diagnosis, he made me eat a lot of money for nothing.

I wish I could have taken krey up on his offer, especially because it would've been a hell of a lot cheaper than this. Even if it wouldn't have been, I could've known that it was done the right way and not by some shady mechanics and it would've been money well spent. I just couldn't take my mom's truck for that long. If his offer is still open, I may see what I can do later on, but I have no idea what my schedule is going to look like. I do know that I can't afford to take it to another scummy "mechanic." But I'll be very close to D.C. now, and I've got no vehicle, so I have to wait for my parents to get me if I'd bring it down. It'll also be several hours longer of a drive for me.

Edit: here is my final bill and his comments. http://imgur.com/a/3WAcd

The bike went to Cycle World on the boulevard, which is somehow related to Sunrise Cycles because I saw advertisements for them inside Cycle World. I don't think they would let competitors advertise.
            Last edited by MagnumRain; 08-22-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Full carb cleaning should take at least a day, even for a shop. They might use a blast cabinet, but between pulling them from the bike, disassembling, blasting, reassembling, and reinstalling...that's gonna take a while.

Sucks man, good luck.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Offer is always open.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Magnum - I just want to say I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. What a mess. I hope it gets sorted with minimal additional headache.

Here's a picture of my cat post-bath. Hope it brightens your day.

Comment

Working...
                  X