Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How much hassle to turn into a naked bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much hassle to turn into a naked bike?

Sorry for the newbie question here this is the first time I'm going to be messing with a bike (and is in fact my first bike >125).

I've got a 750 GSFX from... who knows. 1988-1993 I guess, it was imported and I can't find the manufacturer year. The fair is handpainted (badly), most of the sticker have come off, the seat is torn, and the fairing is cracked in places.

I want to see how it looks naked, but how much work is involved? If I take the plastic off what do I need to replace? I'm guessing headlight at least, can I just take a generic motorbike headlight and plug it in? Will the indicators hold themselves without the fairing? And this might be a stupid question but is there an option of keeping the windscreen in place?

Thanks for any help

Originally posted by williambobbins View Post
    Sorry for the newbie question here this is the first time I'm going to be messing with a bike (and is in fact my first bike >125).

I've got a 750 GSFX from... who knows. 1988-1993 I guess, it was imported and I can't find the manufacturer year. The fair is handpainted (badly), most of the sticker have come off, the seat is torn, and the fairing is cracked in places.

I want to see how it looks naked, but how much work is involved? If I take the plastic off what do I need to replace? I'm guessing headlight at least, can I just take a generic motorbike headlight and plug it in? Will the indicators hold themselves without the fairing? And this might be a stupid question but is there an option of keeping the windscreen in place?

Thanks for any help
    Vin plate should be on the steering neck. That will have a manufactured date on it. If that is missing, I'd be very concerned about the bike being stolen.

Or with the Vin you can decode the year. 10th character is the year designation for the bike. See http://www.suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml for more info.

Search Katana street fighter to see how ugly that bike is when it's naked. Or, get some ideas on what you want to do.

There are many many options aftermarket that you could put on the bike. Specifics of how to do that isn't going to be easy to find, as they are simply too many variances and options. Simple of it... most likely will want to use a headlight and an aftermarket windshield that will attach to the forks, and not sue the OEM parts for the best look. But, yes... you could leave the fairing stay and keep the OEM headlight and shield. j

As for what you have, it can all be repaired... and it could be cheaply done with abs cement and some time. Worst case would be just picking up some ABS sheeting to rebuild, repair, or re-enforce some parts.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks that was really helpful. The 9th-11th digits on the VIN are 0 which isn't valid, I guess they chose not to display it in the VIN. I've asked Suzuki if they can help identify from the rest of the VIN.

Comment

Working...
      X