X

questions about the gsxf 650 '08

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about the gsxf 650 '08

hi everyone, first off im new so its nice to meet everyone here i have recently purchased a new bike and am still in the break in period.. i have to say its a gourgous bike but i wish they would have done something with the tail and made it more of a race tail. but the bike overall is pretty good, i came from a 2 stroke 498cc ninja so to from that to a 4 stroke 656cc is a pretty big improvment.. its pretty much all i need for power, i wanted a liter bike but i couldnt afford it lol. but this has plenty of power to suit my needs for now my couple of questions are it says it has 5 gallons and the most i ever fill up is like 2.5 and im almost out there.. i dont get that lol.. does the reserve have 2.5 as well? also this is the million dollar quesiton lol.. esspecially since its hitting summer the bike is gonna be pretty hot, when i was driving it home today i parked it, turned it off, and turned it back on and the fan was running.. now i have to turn it on to let the fan run i guess, so am i supposed to turn that on and let it run and use my battery or will it be fine to cool itself without the fan? i looked for these two quesitons before i asked them in the owners manual and found nothing so help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

1. Fuel gauges give you a good idea and are never really that accurate. When I am nearing the red on my Kat I usually only put in just a hair over a half a tank, your bike seems consistent with that. Maybe take a small Jerry can and run it out and see how far you go?

2. As for engines, they experience what is called "hot soak". This is where the temperature equalizes across all the components when it is parked and will usually trigger a cooling fan on a warm day. No you do not need to leave it in "run" and let it cool off, it will be fine. That said, if you are riding hard, don't just pull over and shut it off, that's horrible for it, Kats too. Let the engine run easy for a minute and idle for 30 seconds to cool off if you were just hammering on it on a hot day, I think this equals common sense, but I thought it was good info to share just in case...

Comment

Congrads on the purchase. I have had my Gixxef for over a year and it really is a super bike.

2.5 seems a little low. Just run it until the reserve indicator blinks. You should have about 1.5 gallons left at that point. There is an orange warning light that will come on after the indicator blinking. That means you have about .5 to 1 gallon left.

Comment

welcome to KR! the 650f is a great all around bike, but it's really meant to be as a commuter/small sports tourer thus the more pillion-friendly seat... the fan issue is normal, that actually happens on a lot of different bikes so no worries there

enjoy your new bike and ride safe!

Originally posted by FloridaKat View Post
        Congrads on the purchase. I have had my Gixxef for over a year and it really is a super bike.
        lol Mark, pronounce "Gixxef" for me please
        Last edited by JasonChen; 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        sigpic
        2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JasonChen View Post
          Mark, pronounce "Gixxef" for me please
          OK....I'll shorten it to just "eff".

Comment

Hello, and welcome.
            sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat View Post
              OK....I'll shorten it to just "eff".
              I've been effin' around town today.....

sigpic
              2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Working...
              X