Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Now we talk about the cam chain tensioner.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now we talk about the cam chain tensioner.

Afternoon KR,

So I've started to hear a chattering noise, and after running over my valves they're perfectly happy. I'm pretty certain this is the Cam Chain Tensioner. Done a bit of searching and about to order everything up.
    Pre-98, of course.

As far as I can tell I'll be needing 15, 14, and 16-3. What are 16-1 and 16-2 and should I order those as well? Anything else I am missing?
    She's got 33km and a bad history of PO care, what are things I should inspect on the assembly to see if it needs replacing altogether?

For procedure, just clear the way, unbolt the 19mm, unbolt the two bolts holding the assembly in, remove old spring and gasket. Push the adjuser in fully (using the button?) and bolt the assembly back in. Put the new spring in and the gasket on the 19mm and use a torque wrench to put the 19mm back?

The manuals are down and my copy was corrupted, anyone happen to know the 19mm toruqe offhand? IIRC the two bolts holding the assembly on are 10ft-lbs.

I'll do a small pictorial writeup on this when all's said and done.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

you need 12 and 16 or 16-1 or 16.2 or 16.3, all the 16's point to the same gasket.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

12 is the whole assembly, yes? Is it not prudent to just replace the spring after resetting the tensioner?
      - Purplehaze

Comment

Yes, there is supposed to be away to lock the spring back during install, total pain. So, yes, install the spring after setting the body.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

But I wouldn't be needing 12 (the whole assembly, as I understand) if I have 16 (gasket), 14 (gasket), and 15 (the spring)? After resetting the body and bolting the two bolts back in I'll just insert the spring and the 19mm and then turn the engine and hear a few clicks?
          - Purplehaze

Comment

Pm sent to get a working manual
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
              But I wouldn't be needing 12 (the whole assembly, as I understand) if I have 16 (gasket), 14 (gasket), and 15 (the spring)? After resetting the body and bolting the two bolts back in I'll just insert the spring and the 19mm and then turn the engine and hear a few clicks?
              Push the tensioner rod in with a dowel to preset it, then install the spring and rotate the engine.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Ah I see. With any luck I'll be able to tackle this well.

Anyone know of any common issues to look for on the tensioner body itself?
                - Purplehaze

Comment

Watch your knuckles and bereak the spring but loose before removing the body.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

I have heard of and had the tensioner break when torquing the 19mm nut down to spec, take it easy on the torque. I went with 20 ft/lbs IIRC AFTER with the new tensioner.

Same thing happened to this guy:
                    Last edited by ZookRick; 03-03-2015, 06:00 PM.
                    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

+1
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Definitely watch the knuckles when loosening. Bashed mine pretty good the 1st time I replaced the spring.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Willdo guys, thanks for the heads up. I'll be carefully tightening to 19 ft-lbs of torque as well - definitely not interested in that business.
                          - Purplehaze

Comment

Working...
                          X