No announcement yet.
X

Kat down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My insurance has an app for that. fixed the Mercedes immediately, like the next day. I like Geico. They didn't wait for the other Ins co. They knew who was at fault.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

In '78 in Eagle Pass, Texas, cops went against a red light and smacked the front end of my '76 Fiat Spyder at an intersection on a Sunday afternoon. I could still drive it with a rubbing front tire. Went to the station the next afternoon with three repair estimates. They told me it would be two weeks before they could look at it. I responded, "That's fine. Give me the name of the dealership where I should rent a car until that time, because you will be footing the bill." The officer responded, "Uh, just a second." And he went back into an office and came out in five minutes with a check for the cheapest estimate. There ought to be a law, ya know? Sheeesh!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Zuma - heck yeah! Both myself and the other bloke have insurance....Didn't bother pushing for that since I have the truck, but if I didn't...::shudder::

Insurance inspector pointed out something I missed - cracked paint and slight wrinkling at one of the frame joints. Between that, something off kilter out back with either the frame or swinger, and up front at the triple clamp being twisted, I don't think there's enough bones to build back around. At least not with the amount (read: dearth) of free time I have. All that is going to depend on what the payout ends up being though...

Either way I'm not done with kats. Still have the 1100 project at my parents place, and ye olde Chrome Project 1127 engine (Mr. moheedo [sp?]) + a still perfectly good Corbin, full race tech treated rear, full race tech goodies in the front that are fine, SS lines, new front tire, hell I'm still missing at least a couple things. + A still running (albiet old and tired with many miles on it) 600 engine/carb set I can sell to raise more funds.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

That blows! I was afraid that from was going to be tweaked! When i wrecked my kat my buddy bought it and found a titled frame on ebay for $200.00 shipped pretty reasonable price.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Just saw this....Crap dude that sucks...BUT you're in one piece.

Saw what happened to the bike...really glad YOU didn't take the brunt of it. Steel is stronger than bone...

Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Well it took forever, but the guy who hit me was finally deemed at fault. His insurance company is going to pay out. They're coming around on Monday to do their own inspection. At this rate, I should get paid by October. 2018.
              Once I get a number from them I can actually start figuring out what I'm going to do.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Yeah man...glad progress is being made. Getting $$$ from any ins co is crap. They ALWAYS want to low ball you - so counter-offer when they do. Don't take their nonsense.

Keep us posted. Hope you get back in the game soon...

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
                  Hope you get back in the game soon...
                  Me too, the commute to work without lane splitting is insane - used to be 20 mins, now it's​ 60-105. (As in yes, some days almost 2 hours. To go 10 miles...next time you think you want to live in CA, consider the traffic and cost of housing)
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I'm late to this thread so good luck and hope things move quickly. glad you're not broken.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                      Me too, the commute to work without lane splitting is insane - used to be 20 mins, now it's​ 60-105. (As in yes, some days almost 2 hours. To go 10 miles...next time you think you want to live in CA, consider the traffic and cost of housing)
                      And Taxes...and fuel cost....and,
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Finally got an offer from the other person's insurance, and of course it's lowball. Anyone have experience getting bike valuations? I know there are several different places to get one from, but anyone have good experiences with any particular company? None of the ones I've come across mention what the cost is on their websites, so don't want to have to call around to 6 different places if someone here has a recommendation.

For their valuation, they used bikes with 5-10k miles on them and then deducted tons for the number of miles on mile. Want to get my own independent valuation using bikes that aren't basically 'new'
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

You don't have to (nor should) accept the first offer. You can negotiate. You must have a number in your head that would be OK. Counter offer that, then plan on really settling between your number and their original offer. Any way you slice it, it's still crap.

Comment

In my experience, insurance companies really suck at payout, especially if it's not your insurance company, so they aren't even worried about losing a customer. Lawyer may make a difference. Did you lose any time at work? Did you go to a doctor or hospital? Does their estimate include replacing your gear? They should break down what they are paying for what with their estimate. Does the amount for the bike include enough to find a used Kat in your area and buy it outright? If not, can you send them any ads, especially if it's a used bike at a dealership and suggest that they be replacing your bike, plus any aftermarket items that were damaged, plus allowing you to take any that weren't damaged off the totaled bike? Just remember, the insurance company is not your friend, and their adjuster's job is to pay you as little as possible. Do you have service records to prove that your bike was better maintained than the average bike with less miles? Any angle of attack may make a difference.

Glad you're doing well!

Comment

So...insurance companies suck. Still waiting final resolution...
                              They gave a very very lowball initial offer on bike replacement that has been a major sticking point. Yes it's a Kat, and yes they aren't worth much, but...half of what they're being posted for locally on Craigslist? No, F that noise.
                              They were for whatever reason extremely accommodating about replacing gear, so there's that. Gave them a list of what I was wearing that needed replacement, and they didn't flinch, just issued a totally separate from vehicle (got that in writing) check. Picked up a new Shoie RF1200. Had an X12 before, but the 1200 is more appropriate for the style riding I do. Also got new dainese gloves to replace the worn through pair. Still need to replace the jacket though, but have enough left over to do that. (And if I shop hard enough also my boots - uneffected by crash, but it's time for a new pair).

After as much dicking around back and forth on bike value as has happened, I know I'm getting a lowball payment whenever and at whatever $ is eventually settled on. Which means....
                              I'll still be rocking a Kat. Just maybe an uglier one.
                              Already established insurance WONT cover upgrades, just a stock bike (seriously? Seriously??). So I went and pulled every upgraded part off and threw back the stock part (still had all of them).
                              Honestly, whatever I ended up with, I'd want to go over brakes, suspension, bearings, and fuel system. So if I'm going to drop in the goodies from the 600...not that much extra work. Aim to be back up and on a reliable Kat by end of August.
                              *100% required that entire brake system and suspension are back to upgraded status - traffic around me is insane. Cant deal with fork dive from non optimal springs, or brake fade from calipers needing TLC, or front end wobbles from bearings. It's literally a safety concern. If you're from CA, you get it, I live in what was recently upgraded (down graded?) to the worst traffic in the country. If you're from elsewhere...the whole thing about riding like everyone is out to kill you? Yeah, that's literally every ride here.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Holy hell I finally got something! They upped their pathetically low offer up to reasonable!!!! Only 4 months and 4 days, and 3 hours after the accident, but hey, no one's counting right?
                                So....signing on the dotted line, waiting for my check, and buying me another Kat!!
                                Currently selling a buddies bike for him....might stretch that out a weekend or two so I can shop around on Craigslist and get a decent deal. There were a couple 2 weekends ago....
                                1998 Katana 750
                                1992 Katana 1100
                                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                                X