X

94 Kat6: Tank on idle 3-4K tank off fine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Kat6: Tank on idle 3-4K tank off fine

Hello I was curious. I had posted before where when the bike seemed to idle around 3-4k. Well today, after a short 15-20 ride, bike warmed, I decided to take the tank off to look at the carbs. I remember back to when I first bought the bike, the bike I had a motorcycle mechanic come over and the exact thin happened. We took the tank off and the bike idled fine. Understand that we did not have a make shift tank, only using the fuel in the bowls. The minute we put the tank on the high idle was there again. Now, since purchasing in February, I have changed all the cables. So today, once again I take the tank off and start her up and she idles. I was able to go up and down on the idle adjustment screw and actually have an effect. Normallly the screw is not even touching the throttle arm, it idles high so I back the screw out to take that out of the equation.

I took the caps off each carb and found that there is 1 rubber o-ring under the sync cap for carb4, no o-ring for carb3 and carbs 1-2 have an o-ring that looks a hair to small. I know I need to get the right size o-rings, so it's kinda hard to diagnose now, but is it worth "rigging" a tank to see if the bike will idle? BTW, all diaphrams look good with no holes, tears or cracks. And they were also sealed under the cap correctly.
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

My first thought is the tank physically having an affect on your idle... something pushing down on the throttle cable, something kinking....

To remove this possibility, I would instal the tank but don't bolt it down.. start the bike, lift the tank above it a little... see if there is a change due to tank posistion.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Good suggestion. I looked at the carbs and 3-4 and 1-2 are not synched together respectfully with each other. I think I am going to visually synch them again.
      FROM WORK:
      "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Where are the A/F screws on the carbs? Are they on the bottom where the bowls are. Reason asking is because the previos owner cleaned the carbs and if so then the A/F screws should be visible. I noticed that there are 4 screws on the bottom of each carb. I'm trying to figure out if I need to do the "DRILL" parrt. I want to visually synch the carbs.
        Do I adjust the butterflies by moving the A/F screws on each carb? That part was unclear.
        FROM WORK:

Comment

The a/f adjust the mixture ratio and have nothing to do with the throttle speed. The synch screws are what you are wanting to turn, there are 3 of them. A/f screws 2.5 out from closed.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Picture of the A/F screw is page 13 of the carbs 101 pdf.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

The A/F screw is part of the pilot circuit, and has no affect on the butterflies. Butterflies are adjusted by the screw that is on the levers between the carb bodies.

Here is another source of info with pics for you as well with similiar carbs...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the understanding. You know I consider myself very mechanically inclined, however on cars I don't touch timing belts and bikes, seem to be carbs. I'm trying.
              FROM WORK:

Comment

Here is an easy auxillary tank http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99740
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

it might be the filter being clogged clean it and adjust the af screws

Comment

Originally posted by ICEG View Post
                    it might be the filter being clogged clean it and adjust the af screws
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                      So today, once again I take the tank off and start her up and she idles. I was able to go up and down on the idle adjustment screw and actually have an effect. Normallly the screw is not even touching the throttle arm, it idles high so I back the screw out to take that out of the equation.
                      sounds like a miss-routed, kinked, or bound up cable from the tank pressing on it.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                      X