X

98+ speed sensor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ speed sensor

Can someone post a picture of a 98+ speed sensor (CP I'm looking in your general direction). I'm trying to use a gear indicator on a pre 98, but I have a 98+ harness. If I can use the 98+ speed sensor I will, otherwise I'll have to make my own. I'll figure this out I'm 100% confident in that. I just need to see hoe the 98+ speed sensor looks.

Okay so I figured out the speed sensor rotor is on the front sprocket. So, I figure I need the 98+ sp[rocket cover, but do I need to use the 98+ tranny? Is this beyond you guys? I know CP can help on this.

Comment

Yes, you will need to use the 98+ output shaft. It is drilled for the signal generator where the pre's are not.

And here is a pic of the 98+ sprocket cover.

Comment

that's what I thought, thanks

Comment

Sorry, I was spending time with the GF. Looks like you got your questions answered.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I still need a picture of the speed sensor rotor. Now the question arises, do I need to put the pre 98 gears on the out put shaft or can I use the 98+ gears?

Comment

I don't have any pics and it's pouring outside... Will the fiche diagrams do?

As for the rest: I'm not sure I understand the question.
              As long as you can bolt the castle nut like structure that acts as the magnetic field break onto the output shaft, and get the speedo sensor into place in the cover above it, it ought to work no matter what the tranny gears are. The real question is whether you need the 98+ tranny output shaft to get that castle nut (4-lobed dohickey) onto the shaft to generate the signal, and whether your tranny gear ratios are the same as what the CDI expects.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I looked at the fiche diagrams. If I use the 98+ tranny and gears then yes that is exactly what the CDI expects. I really don't know if I need the 98+ tranny, but I've got both here, and I've pulled the 98+ tranny out of my eBay store. So I'll get the rotor dohickey and see, I'll probably just use the 98+ tranny because that is what the CDI expects. The gears are all the same pre to post except 2nd. I figured Suzuki just changed the material that is made out of because there were so many problems with the pre 98 second gear.

Comment

I did a front sprocket on a 98+ , and the shaft looked the same as the pre , it's just the nut and retainer looked different .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yeah, the shaft does look very much the same, I'll figure everything out when the rotor gets here, I have both the pre and post transmission here to goof around with.

Comment

the pre and post shaft both have a thread in them. The pre use that bolt and washer on the end of the sprocket were the post uses the speed sensor rotor.

Comment

Isn't it funny how things sometime work out well? I was searching eBay stores because I decided to use the 98+ speed sensor for my digital gear indicator. Well, I was searching eBay stores looking for a 98+ sprocket cover, and I came across this:

I need some of those parts, so I bought them, isn't that cool.

Comment

were does the speed sensor mount part #21?

Comment

In the front sprocket cover panel (item #23 in this 98+ Case Covers fiche file ).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

perfect, I was hoping it mounted on the cover so I didn't need to tap and weld on the crankcase.

Comment

Working...
                              X