X

Make sure you are seen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make sure you are seen

i learned this trick on vn750.com.i forget the name of the procedure,but when driving and you see someone who is about to pull out in front of your path of travel,weave the bike back and forth in your lane.most motorcycles are not seen until they are within 10-20 feet of a vehicle pulling out and the weaving makes your bike 7 feet wide instead of 2or3 feet wide.this has saved me many times.ride save and be seen.
    1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Originally posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
    i learned this trick on vn750.com.i forget the name of the procedure,but when driving and you see someone who is about to pull out in front of your path of travel,weave the bike back and forth in your lane.most motorcycles are not seen until they are within 10-20 feet of a vehicle pulling out and the weaving makes your bike 7 feet wide instead of 2or3 feet wide.this has saved me many times.ride save and be seen.
    Something else I should point out about this. I also forget the technical term, but being stationary in your lane might be fine and dandy. But the human eye notices movement. It's something about the differences between something bright vs dark that brings the mind and attention to that. Best example is, if your looking straight ahead and someone moves in your peripheral, your instinct is to look at that sudden change or movement. So, being 3 ft wide or 7ft wide is good and all, but the movement is the best part to gain the attention of the driver about to move over.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. My trick (and this works while driving as well) is to always assume the person is going to make the idiotic, dangerous and/or careless move and be prepared to handle it. It's served me well so far.
      Extra life.

Comment

They're all out to get you. Especially the mini-van driving soccar moms.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Word!!
          -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
          sigpic

Comment

Never thought of it this way, excellent tip!

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              They're all out to get you. Especially the mini-van driving soccar moms.
              on cell phones.lol.a few months ago at work we had a few personnel changes and i became head chef.i had an all new crew who wasn't expirianced.i was on my way to work and on the road just before work my manager(on his cell phone)almost pulled out in front of me.i weaved and pulled in my clutch(1985 vulcan 700 with screaming eagle mufflers,so she barks a little)and reved the motor a little.when he pulled in the parking lot behind me i told him it would not be a good time to kill his head chef.

Comment

I have a bright orange vest I wear
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I have a red jacket with white running across the chest and down the arms. Same on the back. I'm visible with that and an orange kat.

Sent from my phone

Comment

i been doing this for years even in my car,mainly out of fear.

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                      i been doing this for years even in my car,mainly out of fear.
                      fear.lol.yu do know everyone is out to kill you.

Comment

I saw that video too once. It demonstrated several situations and the conclusion was that a weaving bike is far more visible than bright colors, high beams and what not.
                        The problem with bikes is that they have a relative small visible surface and when they come head on it takes a long time (until they are really close to the spectator) for the visible surface to expand significantly. This makes the bike blend in with it's surroundings and the background like camouflage does for a soldier.
                        Also humans are used to making patterns from the most significant objects aruond us. This helps us process input and evaluate a situation much faster than actually looking at every object in the situation.
                        A weaving motion breaks up this pattern and makes us more visible. Strangely enough, reflecting clothes and bright colors didn't help much to break this pattern, so when in doubt, weaving is the way to go.

I'm trying to find the video again to post here.

Found it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU"]Smidsy.[/ame]
                        Last edited by ErrEs; 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM.
                        Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

great clip save lifes

Comment

Here we go again

Why the hell would you want to weave, yes we are difficult to see and can easily become lost in road side furniture or hidden behind modern vehicles front and side pillars but by weaving you could be playing a very dangerous game of hide and seek, now you see me now you don't.

I have been riding for the best part of 30 years and can honestly say that my method works, very few drivers ever pull out in my path and its not down to luck.

Before I say anything else I will say, ALWAYS cover your brake and be prepared to stop.

My method.
                            When approaching busy junctions look for the drivers eyes, if you cant see them, he cant see you, then (if its safe to do so) adjust your position on the road until you can. Don't ever believe he's seen you just because he looked towards you, you must make sure his eyes are visible, the only way you can be sure he had the best chance of seeing you. If your lights are on or off leave them, changing this could give the driver the impression you are giving him a signal to pull out.
                            If you have your lights on approaching a junction check your position in relation to any following traffic, try to make sure your lights don't appear to be one those of the vehicle behind you, fooling the driver into believing he has more room for his manoeuvre than he really has.
                            On unlit roads when following someone, keep an eye on his tail lights as he passes junctions and stay focused on them, if they go out, someone is in your path. Thats a dumb statement your thinking, well I would have had a real nasty accident if I wasnt looking when a cyclist with no lights on stopped in my path
                            When I want your opinion I'll tell you it!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
                              I saw that video too once. It demonstrated several situations and the conclusion was that a weaving bike is far more visible than bright colors, high beams and what not.
                              The problem with bikes is that they have a relative small visible surface and when they come head on it takes a long time (until they are really close to the spectator) for the visible surface to expand significantly. This makes the bike blend in with it's surroundings and the background like camouflage does for a soldier.
                              Also humans are used to making patterns from the most significant objects aruond us. This helps us process input and evaluate a situation much faster than actually looking at every object in the situation.
                              A weaving motion breaks up this pattern and makes us more visible. Strangely enough, reflecting clothes and bright colors didn't help much to break this pattern, so when in doubt, weaving is the way to go.

I'm trying to find the video again to post here.

Found it:

Smidsy.
                              Be careful of some of the safety videos, we had someone (ex copper) showing videos on the Motorcycle News forum showing people how to ride following the ROSPA 'system'. and for experienced riders it obviously works, but, and heres the catch, it could put inexperienced riders in danger. The video posted on here re a near miss is a prime example, he suggested the rider should ALWAYS position themselves on the outside of a turn, not tipping in until they could clearly see the exit, on a blind bend this could leave them vulnerable to drivers cutting the corner (hence the reference to the video) or themselves running wide and into the path of oncoming vehicles.
                              Any tips on defensive riding are worth listening to but take the parts out of them that you think work for you!
                              When I want your opinion I'll tell you it!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X