New to KAT needing help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to KAT needing help!

Hey everyone,

I've got a 2001 Kat (600) which I'm having a few issues with, hoping I could get some advice and ideas. I'm not familiar with the history of the bike but since I got it, it always dies at an idle. It doesn't accelerate quickly when you give it throttle and at full throttle it almost feels like riding a 250. Won't go over 40mph. Been leaking oil like mad, along with what I assume is coolant (green fluid).

Thanks for the help,
    Jess.

Clean the carbs (should take about 4-5 days) and that should solve most of your issues.

Also the Katana is oil cooled, there is no coolant.

Comment

^ +1
      Time for a good carb cleaning.

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

No fluid on a kat should be green. You're going to want to figure out where exactly that's coming from
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Pull your fairings off and see where your leaking from, you shouldn't be leaking anything green. Do they sell a green fork oil?

download or buy a service manual.

since the bike is new to you I would once you find and fix the leak change the oil & filter, brake fluid, and fork oil ,and no doubt give the carbs a good cleaning and do a valve adjustment.
          Kyle

Comment

+1 air cooled, no coolant there.
            Manual is here http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138096&page=2
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-25-2016, 12:45 AM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm going to guess his oil leak might very well be caused by an over full crankcase. Either too much oil or fuel leaking into the crankcase. What does the oil smell like and/or what is the oil level in the window?

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                No fluid on a kat should be green. You're going to want to figure out where exactly that's coming from
                is there an oil additive that is green? i see a lot of random stuff on the market but idk..alien bike?
                1996 "Ras-tana" 600

Comment

Not sure about green oil but I have a red one at home. Not the usual brownred but almost clear red oil.

Can only really be fork oil, since the other options are brake fluid, motoroil or gas. Not many liquid options on a Kat..

Comment

ATF is red....and generally has no reason to be anywhere near a motorcycle.

Comment

Fuel additives turn fuel green when the bike is over stored.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        Fuel additives turn fuel green when the bike is over stored.
                        This...

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Motul oil is green. Post a pic of the sight glass.

Comment

Working...
                          X