X

What did I do wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do wrong?

Well, I was riding back to work after lunch and made the same turn I've made about 100 times. It's just a normal left turn from one street to another, nothing fancy.

For some reason, the back end started sliding out on me. I noticed I was going a little faster than normal, but nothing crazy. I was within what I felt were my limits. My lean angle was a little steeper than normal, perhaps from the extra speed. I could feel the back tire starting to walk around and for some reason, I hit the gas. The bike hooked up and I was able to complete the turn with nothing more than a big scare.

What are you supposed to do in that situation?

That was scary!

That would have been pucker moment...to be sure. I gather you weren't practising your drifting style. Subconsciously you probably countersteered more when you rolled on the throttle. Just my guess. Glad you didn't go down...... laundry tonight?
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      That would have been pucker moment...to be sure. I gather you weren't practising your drifting style.
      Nope, not today.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      Subconsciously you probably countersteered more when you rolled on the throttle. Just my guess. Glad you didn't go down...... laundry tonight?
      I have no idea to be honest. I don't even know why I rolled on the throttle. I haven't been riding long enough to do it from experience, that's for sure with only about 2,000 miles under my belt.

Is rolling on the throttle the correct thing to do in that situation? I would love to know what I did to cause that to happen.

Comment

What tires do you have?
        how old?

etc.

Comment

Let me run outside and look. It's the same tires I bought the bike with last year.

Comment

It could have been a few things

cold tires
            crud on tires
            crud on road , sand, salt, oil antifreeze etc etc

You managed to keep it up during the turn so you did good.
            Kyle

Comment

Here is what I have. I know there is supposed to be a date code on them somewhere, but I can't seem to find it so I'm including all the numbers I found.

Rear:

Michelin Macadam 160/70-17
              TN2191 06-3947-01
              75R-006526

Front:

Shinko F009RR
              120/70-ZR17 58W
              F009 9908-01

Does that help? Which one, if any, is the date code?

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
                Here is what I have. I know there is supposed to be a date code on them somewhere, but I can't seem to find it so I'm including all the numbers I found.

Rear:

TN2191 06-3947-01
                75R-006526

Front:

Shinko F009RR
                120/70-ZR17 58W
                F009 9908-01

I think the 4 digit ones are your date codes. 37th week of 07 and second week of 07

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post

Rear:

TN2191 06-3947-01
                  75R-006526

Front:

Shinko F009RR
                  120/70-ZR17 58W
                  F009 9908-01

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
                  Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
                  Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Those are the date codes yes.

Seems to me you did good in that situation, and not just because you didn't drop it.
                    Cutting throttle or braking would've resulted in less control and much more danger. Maintaining throttle in a corner and rolling on the throttle when you exit the corner is exactly what you should do.

Scary but well worth the experience if you ask me. Before you know it you'll be calling that thrilling instead of scary.
                    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

So it looks as though I should invest in some new tires?

I see that the PR3's are highly recommended, but I can't find any in the correct size. Mine are 160/70-17 and I can only find 170/60-17 or 160/60-17.

Comment

120/70/17 in the front
                        160/60/17 in the rear

As far as what tires to get the PR2 or 3 are highly recommended. I have a set of conti motions on their way (just because of the lower cost).

Comment

I love my Contis

Comment

I dont know what you did right or wrong or what the problem was but your tires are old and you should get new ones asap.

Originally posted by lanerw View Post
                            120/70/17 in the front
                            160/60/17 in the rear

As far as what tires to get the PR2 or 3 are highly recommended.

I ordered my second set of the PR3 the other day. You would have to do a lot to persuade me to buy anything else. I am confident in rain on commutes and on the track. the milage is good too.

As far as what I would have done in your situation. I would have countersteered and let go of the gas.
                            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

5 year old tires? I bet that's your issue. Time for new ones ASAP!!!

PS. Glad you made it through OK. Time for new shorts!

Comment

Working...
                              X