X

carb issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb issues

My 91 Kat 1100 is down, has been for a couple of weeks. I had started to notice it was missing while at low rpm's then would clean out at the upper end. Then I started smelling gas when I was idling, not a fun thing. It looked to be coming out of the #2 carb. All the obvious has been checked. Our little Banned buddy here had cleaned and installed my jet kit and baselined the bike, I double checked when reinstalling. Ran great when first done even though I did not sync them, yet. About 3k miles later I have this problem. I cleaned carbs again, and they were spotless, double checked linkage etc,, and pulled plugs, #1 and #2 fuel fowled badly, black and sooty and wet, weeks after bike was parked. the other 2 plugs were fine. Just to be safe I rebuilt the fuel petcock with the K and L kit. Tommorow I will try and do some more work, maybe start it with my aux tank,, for syncing, do i split the fuel line in to match the factory setup?
    any help is really appreciated as i need to get back on this bike. BTW, it does use some oil, maybe a quart and a little more every 1k. I was planning on redoing the motor this winter, big bore kit and rebuilt head etc.

A quart in 1k is BAD. You are fouling the plugs and once they get warmed up they clean up enough to fire. Check your oil and make sure it didn't fill up with fuel from a sticky float or one that is set too high. Yes get a tee connector for your fuel lines to the aux tank.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

The plot thickens, This was the same issue I had the first time around. Im starting to think that both of those floats may have a leak and are probably bad. They are adjusted same as the others and do not appear to be hanging up at all. I went to order new floats and hardware from bike bandit, they said min of 15 days before its shipped to me. I cant find them anywhere. Any one know of a place to order them from? I cant even locate a good link for k&l to look for them there.

Comment

Moog, call me at 714-356-7845 & I'll help you out. Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

DGY, MAC both in the midwest around CHicago area. Might be easier to get from dealer actually.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mogg View Post
            The plot thickens, This was the same issue I had the first time around. Im starting to think that both of those floats may have a leak and are probably bad. They are adjusted same as the others and do not appear to be hanging up at all. I went to order new floats and hardware from bike bandit, they said min of 15 days before its shipped to me. I cant find them anywhere. Any one know of a place to order them from? I cant even locate a good link for k&l to look for them there.
            You can easily check if it's a float issue by filling the fuel lines and bowls.. then blow on the lines (be careful, your putting your mouth near gas...). If it allows any air to blow through, your float needle is letting gas by. Readjust, and try again.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X