New Rider ( -98 600 katana )

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rider ( -98 600 katana )

Greetings to everyone from Finland!

So, I got my A2-license just a bit over a week ago ( I am only allowed to ride restricted bikes with around 45hp) and exactly a week ago I bought my first big bike a Suzuki gsx-f (katana) 600. The bike had a bit under 52k miles on it when I bought it, and now I've ridden it around 120miles. The bike is basically stock, with the exception of a carbon-fiber slip-on by Delkevic ( Sounds nice ). The bike for its age is in good shape, hardly any scratches, although the paint (red) has washed-out a bit from some places.

So far, for what I've ridden it, it has worked good. The only "negatives" are really negligible; Sometimes it can't get it to go into neutral and at times it started up a little poor ( nothing that wasn't fixed with a throttle ). Other than that the bike is comfortable and steady to ride around town/the motorway, the latter is most likely thanks to the bikes' weight. Gears work, throttle has response and brakes bite in nicely. More importantly the bike's fun to ride and the power of it - even when restricted - really something, granted my first bike - the bike before this one - was only a silly 50cc moped .

It's a old bike, but it has been kept well and runs pretty much like a charm, even turns the heads of pedestrians thanks to the exhaust and looks ( even for a sports-tourer I think it cools pretty badass ). I haven't done any maintenance on it, and other than probably changing the oil out, I most likely won't, since I really don't much about the mechanics of motorcycles other than the general picture of it. How often do you guys lube up your chain? Also is it normal for a bike like this that the chain is quite tight and hardly moves at all up/down? I thought it should be able to move up/down around 2-3 inches?

Other than the carburetors and valves having been maintenanced at 30k miles, nothing else major has been done to the bike. I just hope the engine will last at least 12k miles, but then again it is an old bike, so you never know I guess. Does someone here have a katana that has ridden more than my bike? Hows durable is the engine? I mean , I've seen honda cbr 600s' with 74k miles on them and still running.

It's great to be riding the streets again

Welcome! Start by reading through the wiki above.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

welcome to Katriders

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome!
            65k miles on mine and more everyday.
            Valves need inspecting more frequently that that usually.
            For the neutral issue, a clutch adjustment would probably take care of it. Pretty easy to do, even with no experience. Walk through with pics:
            A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to the site!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the site and wiki is really helpful

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcomings. Since last time I've ridden my bike even more, and so far it has been a lot fun. Now I've gotten used to the clutch/gears/brakes and riding that thing is smooth and steady, unless I give it full gas in which case I nearly fall off the bike (JK)

Anyhow, I've noticed that I'm getting around 40mpg, which alright in my opinion, although gas isn't free

The neutral "issue" still persists, but it hardly even bothers me. Every other gear works as it's supposed to work, so I doubt it's any severe. At times when I come to a full stop and try to put it into neutral, even when I'm being really gentle with the lever, it skips neutral and goes to 2nd. In process I can see the neutral light flash, so it almost goes to neutral, but not quite, although if I back up a little and then give it a little gas in 1st gear and then come to a 2nd stop it goes to neutral no problem, so I don't really know what's the case here .

I have downloaded the service manual, and checked the brake fluids, tires ( don't own a pressure meter, so couldn't really check that, but the tread ) and the overall appearance of the bike. Everything - except the rear tire and a little tight chain? ( it has 0.60-0.80 inches of freeplay, is that a little bit too tight?) - seems fine, hardly any rust except on the innermost exhaust pipes ( a rust brownish subtle shade). Other than that everything seems fine, no loose bolts, the thing idles at around 1,3k rpm, no rattling sounds from the engine, air conditioner works and yeah.

Anyhow, if I run into any problems with my bike, I'll sure put up a thread here and ask for assistance or just ask for general guidance with whatever tinkering I might end up doing with the bike. Ride safe guys!

Comment

welcome to KR from HI

Comment

Working...
                    X