New 99 750 owner from Canada

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 99 750 owner from Canada

Hey all! Just bought my first bike!

A little bit about myself first. I've always been mechanically inclined. I work as a service advisor at a medium sized automotive shop. I know my way around most repairs on cars, but I've never taken a wrench to a bike before. One of my mechanics was selling a Katana for a steal of a deal, so I couldn't pass it up.

Now, on to the bike. It's a 90 Katana 750. From what I understand, it belonged to my coworker's brother but he moved away about a year and a half ago. The bike came with a pile of farings. I don't know for sure but I'm told they're all there. It's not starting but he says it just needs a starter solenoid. (having never worked on or diagnosed a bike before, I can neither confirm nor deny this haha) It'll probably need some work to pass inspection (the tires look a little bald, and I wouldn't doubt that some bulbs are out). A tune-up will likely be unavoidable. But I'm so stoked to start woirking on it! I've always wanted a bike. I've always been into bobber style motorcycles, so I'm not sure yet if this will be a fix it and keep it or fix it and trade it, but who knows. I'm already kinda falling in love with the thing. Plus it looks pretty good without all the plastic covers. Hmm....

I've looked around the site a bit, and I can't seem to find a how-to on replacing the starter solenoid. I haven't actually LOOKED at the bike yet, but a friend of mine said it's inside the engine? I can't see that being the case... Any tips on diagnosing and replacing the thing? I plan to start wrenching this weekend....
    Last edited by Nekrostatic; 07-25-2014, 12:09 PM. Reason: HAD YEAR WRONG...

Up top, center, click on Katana Wiki. In there, there's a service manual you can download. It should cover the procedure.
    If the bike hasn't run in a while, the carbs are probably gummed up - while you're in the wiki, give Carbs 102 a read through (not carbs 101, that is for the '89-'97 generation) - it's a detailed how to for cleaning and rebuilding the carbs.

Welcome to KR, and good luck with the project!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Apparently I was quite mistaken, and it's a '90. Go figure! lol

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Winterpeg eh? What do you get? ... six weeks of riding?

Welcome
              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                Winterpeg eh? What do you get? ... six weeks of riding?

Welcome
                Studs on a Kat on a frozen lake......that would be awesome ....personally, I fuckin' hate winter.

Welcome to KR!
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I got her running this weekend! Took a whole can of carb clean and it definitely needed new gas, but it runs! It doesn't idle just yet, but she only bogs down below 1000 RPMs. If you hold the throttle at 1000 it runs fine. It needs a new battery for sure, and probably coils and plugs. It starts really easily once the engine's warm, but it takes about a minute of cranking when it's cold.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                  Studs on a Kat on a frozen lake......that would be awesome ....personally, I fuckin' hate winter.

Welcome to KR!
                  Don't tempt me. I'm dumb enough to try it!

Comment

should idle at about 1300 rpm.. its not a car.

Comment

Oh, actually? When I'm off the throttle it tries to drop to about... ~850. I should just need to turn the idle screw, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X