X

Jet Kit/Air Filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Kit/Air Filter

I've heard of individual K&N filters and the kind that just go in the stock airbox. I am looking to get a jet kit and the k&n air filters. Does anyone know anything about the individual filters? Any suggestions on what to use here? I have a 2000 Kat 750 with two bros. slip-on.

(A) 98+ Kats -- avoid pod style air filters. If you want to use an aftermarket filter, use the K&N in-airbox filter with the modifier donuts that come with it (the donuts change the opening size for the airbox). Everyone I know of who has tried to graft the pod-filters onto a 98+ has had carb tuning issues they haven't been able to resolve and have gone back to the airbox set-up.

(B) JetKits are available from three companies: DynoJet, FactoryPro and Ivan's Performance Products. I've tried both the DynoJet and the Ivan's -- the Ivan's is head-and-shoulders better than the DynoJet, IMHO. I haven't tried the FactoryPro kit yet.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just took a BRNAD NEW K&N air filter for a 98+ Kat box (replacement filter) to BRAADA JIM with all my 9,000 parts. Contact him - he'd love to sell it I'm sure!

See list here: http://www.katriders.com/braadajim/KRlist.xls Look down in the engine section, somewhere around line 75-80.........
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Thanks. That is the second time now I've heard of the individual air filters being a problem. I'll stick with the stock airbox. As for the jet kit, I believe with the factory brand only stage 1 is available. Is there a stage 3 available anywhere and which one would I want to use? What is the difference in performance?

The appeal to the Factory kit is that installation is supposed to be easier than the dynojet. I've never installed one of these but would like to keep it as simple as possible. How difficult is the ivan kit to install?

Has anyone used this shift kit:

find your motorcycle, Katana 750 98-02, SHFT-SUZ-3
        Trans Detent Spring Kit

Comment

The jetkits are all about the same ease of installation, since they involve accessing the same parts and replacing them.

There are no stage 2/3/7 kits for the 98+ Kats, because they haven't found any performance benefits for anything over a stage 1 kit on the 98+ engine. DynoJet has a statement to that effect on their site ("if we don't offer it, it's because there is no added gain over stage 1 for that year/make/model").

The spring kit does make for better shifting, but will not resolve problems caused by slamming into 2nd at high speeds or general abuse.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Individual filters are NOT a problem so long as you have a proper jet kit to tune the carbs with the filters. This type of filter WILL require new needles and good bit larger main jets in order to get the carbs set up correctly. For example: My Bandit comes with Mikuni main jets size 100 stock. I am currently running a Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit with K&N pod filters which swaps out the air filters, main jets, the pilot jets, needles, and you also clip the diaphram springs to allow the sliders to open faster. I am currently running 152.5 mains, so you see where there is a huge difference to compensate for the extra air flow.

The intake noise is fantastic and my HP gains are excellent. Stock, a Bandit puts out not much more than 100 HP, but a good bit of torque and my last dyno run (With 150 mains before going to the 152.5's) pulled 127.3 HP and 81 lbs torque.

The kicker here is that a pod set up will require some additional time to get it dialed in unless someone has some proven set up for your elevation. Even then you could end up messing with it for a while.

BTW......... Don't worry about fuel milage. My current set up gives me better milage than the stock set up did, with almost 30 more HP It's all in proper tuning!
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
            X