High Idle when hot.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Idle when hot.

Hello,

When my bike (2K 600) has warmed up my idle is normal (1200), what I'm finding is on hot days (high 20's, humidity into the 30's) after I have been riding around for hours @ time (mostly city) my idle rises up to about 2500 and will hold there. A 10-15 shutdown and idle will return to normal until I've been riding around for a while more. This problem is not happening on days when I ride as much but the temps are lower (0-mid 20's)

I had my carbs sync'd (& checked out, slides were lubed up and carbs opened & given the OK by a trusted mechanic )before I put her away for the winter & stored with Stabilizer. I even ran a coouple of treatments of seafoam through after that tank of fuel was run out.

Hoses all connected as well (including airbox drain plug & carb boots).

Any ideas?
    Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings. Everytime a mouse traps snaps, an angels set on fire. - J. Handey

Could be overheating.

If it is stop and go city traffic then it is definitely overheating. You have to be moving in order for your bike to remain cool. You did the right thing though by shutting off for 10-15 minutes.

If this is your daily commute, if possible I would try to fond a route that has less traffic, even if it is longer, that allows you to be up to speed for longer periods of time to avoid overheating. When engine oil overheats it breaks down and does not lubricate parts as well as it should. So if you already did overheat, I would do an oil change, and try your best not to do a LOT (hours at a time as you said) of stop and go riding.
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Mmmmm, I wouldn't not have totaly thought of overheating. I wouldn't think it would up the engine speed @ idle. What would the acutal cause be? By that I mean, what physicaly caues the spped to go up due to heat, trying to pump oil thru the oil cooler faster?

It is not my normal commute (thats about 30km 1 way), this was just crusing around the city (on a hot day) that didn;t feel to bad for stop n' go, certianly not rush hour bad.

If thats all it is I'm not to worried, though I may change to a diff weight oil then @ the next change. I use Motul 5100 Semi-synth 10w40 now. Prob go to the same but in a 10w50.
      Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings. Everytime a mouse traps snaps, an angels set on fire. - J. Handey

Comment

Working...
      X