X

New guy in OH

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy in OH

Hey all. I've been lurking for a couple of days, reading up on the kat 600. I'm planning to pick one up in a few weeks.

I've been riding since 2006 or so when I bought my EX500. I took the EX to the track a handful of times, then bought a race-prepped Honda F2, and rode that for a year (kept the EX for street riding). In 2009, I sold the F2 (wedding/honeymoon), and bought a track-prepped 600RR a few months later. I did trackdays and raced the 600RR for 2 or 3 years, selling the EX along the way to fund my racing habit.

The 600RR was sold in November (I out-paced my budget!), and for the last few months, the only bike I own has been my 2000 Honda XR100, set up for kart-track racing with the Ohio Mini Roadracing League.

Anyway, I've been itching to get a 'big' bike again, and I found a running Katana for $500. Haven't picked it up yet, but I got the wife's "approval" to spend the money, so it's basically mine.

Other than bikes, I like my dogs, working out, and making poor decisions under the influence of a strong IPA.

I apologize in advance for asking basic questions that veteran katana owners surely find elementary. I'm sincerely trying to use the search function to its fullest.

- Chris (in Cleveland)
    -Chris
    **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Welcome to KR!
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to kr!

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

welcome what year kat you lookin at?

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Welcome!
              I LOVE my Kat (600) but if you're used to racing...this may not be the bike for you. It's sport touring, not super sport. Just want to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. (Not super fast, heavy, meh suspension) But if you're bikeless, $500 for a runner sounds like a screaming deal. Best of luck!
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

Originally posted by ejc03katana View Post
                  welcome what year kat you lookin at?
                  '93, and I know it's no race bike. But that doesn't mean I can't race it, just that I probably won't win.

I spent all day turning laps on my XR100 mini supermoto. The drum brakes and pogo stick suspension are horrible. But it's a spec series, so it's cheap and fun. The katana will be 90% for commuting, 8% joyrides, and 2% track, so I think it's a solid choice.

I drive over 350 miles a week commuting, so I may as well enjoy some of those miles from behind handlebars instead of stuck in my car.
                  -Chris
                  **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Welcome. The Kat's a good choice for commuting although I like the 89-97 750 way better than the 600s. Something about the torque...
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

welcome
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        Welcome. The Kat's a good choice for commuting although I like the 89-97 750 way better than the 600s. Something about the torque...
                        I agree. Find me one for $500 that has a clear title and runs, and I'll buy it today

The one I'm looking at is just too cheap to pass up. I am planning to stick a circular headlight on it, but all the fairings are there. If I don't like how it rides, I figure a fresh coat of paint, carb clean, and new tires, and I can sell it for $1100 in the spring.
                        -Chris

Comment

well, I ended up finding one myself!

I actually bought a '91 Honda CB750, fixed a couple of things on it, and then sold it for what I paid, and bought a 2000 Katana 750 for $500. It runs. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, but as near as I can tell, the only thing keeping it from being street-legal is the headlight is shorting out.

so $500 for a running latest gen 750. I think I did pretty well.
                          -Chris

Comment

OOOO i love my 1999 Katana 600...
                            "Oh I will tag you back !!"

Comment

awesome find man I ride a 99 750f. Welcome to the club! don't forget to download the manual!
                              1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Working...
                              X