X

Mirrors, mirrors, on my bike...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrors, mirrors, on my bike...

I've been reading about the argument of stopping at lights/stop signs in 1st gear or neutral, and the argument for 1st gear is so you can easily pull away...good argument. The question that I have, however, is how do you see if the person behind you is not stopping? My mirrors are adjusted so I can see off to the sides. There is no way that I can adjust the mirrors so I can see behind me - all I get is elbow. If I see elbow, I push my mirrors out further because otherwise I am just loosing precious mirror space.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

There's 2 things you can do.
    1) get one of those little stick on bubble mirrors that increase your field of view.
    2) Since you have both feet on the ground, it's possible to lean over to one side a little bit to see what's behind you. This is what I do, but then I'm pretty skinny.
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

I just tuck an elbow when I am stopped.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

dont stop in the middle of the lane?

Comment

you stop? I usually am scanning way ahead of me and start brakin early so that I don't have to a complete stop, or WOT when I see a green changing to yellow.

Comment

a lil elbow in my mirror is ok with me. reason being is that every time i merge or do a lane change, i do a head check anyway. so my mirrors helps me c who is behind me and who is off to the side and behind me, my head check takes care of everything else.
            it is important to remember that you have many tools on ur motorcycle that help u be alert to ur environment. who shouldnt depend on just one thing, but rather all these things working together to help u b more alert. so if u have ur mirrors adjusted so that you only c thing off to the side,it limits their usage.and i cant stress enough how important a head check is when riding.
            im not telling u to change ur riding style. but if u cant c who is comming up behind you while riding or at a stoop light,using ur mirrors somewhat, then i believe it is time to adjust things a lil better.
            << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
            KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

All I could think of when you said mirror, mirrors on my bike

(that"s Sting's from the movie Quadrophenia)
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by KRAZYKAT
                a lil elbow in my mirror is ok with me. reason being is that every time i merge or do a lane change, i do a head check anyway. so my mirrors helps me c who is behind me and who is off to the side and behind me, my head check takes care of everything else.
                it is important to remember that you have many tools on ur motorcycle that help u be alert to ur environment. who shouldnt depend on just one thing, but rather all these things working together to help u b more alert. so if u have ur mirrors adjusted so that you only c thing off to the side,it limits their usage.and i cant stress enough how important a head check is when riding.
                Yeah, definately. I do the whole MSF procedure - Signal intentions, mirror check, over the shoulder check, merge. I have the mirrors set so if I move my head slightly either way I can see an elbow, but I cannot see them keeping my head stationary. To look behind me in my mirror, I just pull my arm across my body and look.

I also definately agree with the 1st gear at a stop light/sign, but I just don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside when I think that I would have the recognition and reaction time to pull away in time if one were to attempt to rear end me. I've been in a situation in my cage when at a stop light someone rear ended the guy behind me who then in return rear ended me, even though I had already punched the throttle.

So on my bike I just give myself a good cushion ahead of me, position myself to protect my lane, but give myself in out (position myself at a slight angle, so if I did get rear ended I don't turn into a cage sandwich - I heard those don't taste good anyways)
                "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

Comment

Im the same way with my elbows but when I stop Im not perfectly straight a little angle to the left lets me see behind me from drivers side convex mirror on the pass side scares the heck out of me I look in it and think man their close. Thinking of mirrors has anyone ever seen mirror spacers for Kats. I saw a couple for busa's but thats all. Just oval spacers about 1/2-5/8in thick and extended bolts.

Comment

Working...
                  X