Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mharrison
    I would think there are two things.

1. Dropping it in the driveway, garage, etc.
    Yup did that. Never thought it would be that heavy. Stupid mistake
    I still woulnd't trade my frame for an aluminum one though!

Comment

I noobed out in a low speed turn 2 nights ago actually. Pulling left out of a gas station onto a surface street... I didn't have enough gas into the turn, and I grabbed the clutch to avoid an engine brake stop and fall. That stabilized me enough to start to pass the apex of the turn, but I juiced too much throttle, and the back wheel went out a bit and skidded out on me.

No serious damage, but lesson learned....

Comment

I would say 9 times out of 10 adding throttle in the corner will get you through better than ANY braking.

If the throttle and some lean won't get you through, you're already screwed!
        -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
        -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

first time taking it off the centre stand it started to fall over away from me...all i could do was hold on for as long as possible to slow it down so it didn't hit the ground as hard...i was p*ssed( i only had 27km on it at the time) but at least nobody saw and only a tiny scratch

Comment

MSF? Anybody posting in this thread take the safety course?

I did and I feel like I learned a lot concerning bike control at lower speeds. Especially with exercises like a double u-turn in a 20 foot box.

I'm still a noob with the potential to drop my bike in an intersection, but I learned a lot about the fundamentals of riding in the MSF course. Hopefully the $235 I spent there will save me hundreds in body work.

Its never too late to take it, there were veteran riders in my course.

Comment

my drop was while strapping toys on the back for the toys for tots run. remeber...always pull the bungees from the exhaust side to the kickstand side!

Comment

Well, I've had my Kat for 5 days now and can see how they can be dropped - I haven't yet... but they are freakin heavy! At least when pushing around. Only real problem I've had so far is when trying to park nose out in a parking space. I know I should pass the spot and back it in, but for some reason I tried to ride through the neighboring spaces and turn her out. At that slow speed, turning the bars that far was inadvisable... and resulted in an awkward stutter stop. After I looked around to see who was looking, I rolled forward and backed her in...
                Sold: 2001 Katana 600
                Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Comment

I dropped my 04 katana the first week i had it because i parked on a gravel, uphill road at my girlfriends house. I would say that the #1 reasons "noobs" drop their bikes are trying to look cool and simply inexperience not knowing the limitations of their bike

Comment

We talking dropping or crashing? If it's dropping, I'd say no matter how long you've been riding it's possible to drop your bike. Gravity happens.

Remember: Dropping your bike isn't a sin. Ending up under it is.

As far as crashing goes...lots of things can happen. If it weren't dangerous, everyone would be doing it.

Comment

1st Drop - Forgot to put my foot down at a stop sign. I R A n00b.

2nd Drop - Forgot to tuck my shoe laces into my boots. I R teh hurt.

When I bought the bike it was three shades of Red. So I got sick of looking at it and sanded it down then flat blacked the fairings. The tank, seat, and front fender are still red though...But they haven't touched the ground.

So after the 2nd drop it was a quick shot from the rattle can to fix the paint.

I have to admit though...The technique of picking up the bike yourself works REALLY well.
                      [email protected]

Comment

For me it was wet grass in 2nd gear (down is 1st not up), popping the clutch, for got to put the kick stand down, not use to turning it around on a slope, pushing it on wet grass, and finally turning around getting off the road and in mud. Yea I know msf course, this is what happens when you hear someone say "I'm gonna buy a bike" and has never road one before.

winner takes the crown

Comment

The couple of times I dropped my bike were when I was braking when the bike was turn.

If you're going to brake, MAKE SURE YOUR HANDLEBARS ARE SQUARE.
                          2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Comment

Been riding since October, Still a Newb, but getting better at riding every day. The book twist of the wrist and the advice of the sage ole Kats on this page has kept me from going down. My advice, never push your bike without footwear.
                            What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Specter

Or use the rear brake .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                                Originally posted by Specter

Or use the rear brake .
                                Or slow down BEFORE you get to the turn!

winner takes the crown

Comment

Working...
                                X