X

How to powdercoat instructions!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to powdercoat instructions!

I had to powdercoat some parts today, so I decided to make a small "how to" while I was at it. This is for small parts that can easily be done at home for minimal cost.

$100 for a small powdercoat system

free or very cheap used oven. you can use a toaster over for small parts, or pick up a household oven for larger parts, up to the size of a rim for some.

Powder can be purchased from www.caswellplating.com in a large variety of types and colors to suit your needs. Caswell has descriptions of which powder is used for what. Read their information.

A small compressor that can feed the powdercoat gun 2-5lbs of air. This will require a condensation filter attached to the end of the airhose, as well as a mini regulator attached to the powdercoat gun to control air pressure.

If you shop around, total cost of setup can be in the $200-250 area. An amount that can easily be made back by doing the odd job for friends.

1st step:

Remove all coatings from the part you wish to pc. This can be done by sandblasting, paint stripper, or as I did with these parts, a 3M Scothbrite sanding disk on a diegrinder. Then I cleaned up the edges on a wire wheel grinder. I find this method to be the fastest and cleanest by far. Be sure to get it stripped 100% of all coatings, or you risk a bad finish.

2nd step:

Preheat your oven to 350-400 degrees F. The parts need to be thoroughly cleaned of all contaminants such as grease and oil. This includes anything on your hands. In this case, I used a clean cotton shop rag wet with some automotive paint thinner. Handle the part as little as possible with your hands after it is cleaned. As with any chemicals, be sure your workspace is well ventelated.

Step 3:

While you were cleaning your parts, your oven should have been pre-heated. I then suggest you hang your parts in the oven for 10-15 minutes to "bake off" any residue of the thinner, and any other contaminates. This oven is a freebie. The temp guage you see stuck to it is a great investment. It will read more accurate than the one on the stove. It also has a temperature alarm and a timer. I highly suggest one, but it is not a neccessity.

Step 4:

After you remove the parts from the oven, by the hangers with another hook hanger or pliers, let them cool down enough so you can touch the back of your hand to them without getting burned. Then blow them clean with some air. do not touch them with your hands if you can help it. In this case, I just used the lower oven rack to hang the parts from. I attached it to a sawhorse with a c-clamp. Then you just attach the electrode of the powdercoater to the rack to supply a static charge to all the parts. Now it is time to apply the powder. No need to go crazy, but don't be shy either. 3 mil is what I am guessing I applied. I really need to pick me up a guage for this. For small parts like this, just get a good even coating on them. Do the "hard to reach" spots, and edges first. You will also need to keep any threads clear of excessive powder. As you can see in the photo, I used hi-heat silicone plugs. These can be ordered from Caswell as well....and hi-heat masking tape.

as you can barely see in this photo, the powder comes out of the gun as a small "cloud". This cloud of powder will attract itself to the static charge of the part. Just like dust on a tv screen. Important....do not have a fan blowing in the direction of the part you will be coating. I shouldn't have to explain why.

Once your parts are coated, they will look something like this. Now you need to make sure you have the rack in the oven at the top setting, and you hang each part on the rack just like the photo of the bare parts being heated to burn off any crap on the metal. Be sure to handle tha parts with care. the powder is only on there by static. If you knock them around or against each other, you will knock off the powder. baking time is around 15 minutes at 350 for this particular powder. However, that is 15 minutes once the substrate (the metal part) reaches 350 degrees. This is something you need to use your judgement on. For these small parts, I just allowed 5 minutes extra. 20 minutes total.

And finally, after 20 minutes you can remove then from the oven and hang them back on your rack you used to coat them with. Allow them to cool down so you don't burn yourself, and they are ready to use.
    Nothing to it.

This photo doesn't do the part justice. it is really glossy shiny. It is called "wet black"....and that is how it looks. It came out flawless

and there you have. basic powdercoating 101.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

powdercoating "how to".

there has been a fair amount of powdercoat mentioned on the forums, so I made a small "how to", including pics, of how it is done.

Just follow this link to the topic in the Paint & Graphix Shop section.
    I am assuming this is the right section. Maybe if the mods see fit, they can sticky it or something.

I hope this answers any questions and helps anyone interested to get started.
    Enjoy!

Comment

Awsome write up!! Hadn't never though about doing it myself. Looks like something I could get a lot of use out of and maybe make some extra money on the side.
      Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul!!!
      Drop a knee,drop a gear, just don't drop the bike!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zukibud600
        Awsome write up!! Hadn't never though about doing it myself. Looks like something I could get a lot of use out of and maybe make some extra money on the side.
        Thanks......but don't plan on getting rich from it. At least not with a small set-up such as this. At most, expect to be able to cover your costs for your own work.

Comment

that is great, thanks for the write up

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Mojoe, this is fantastic! Mechanically-challenged me just might try it! I sure hope the powers that be see fit to make this a sticky!
            sigpic

Comment

Nice write up. Makes me want to give it a try.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

awesome - ok - so can you do the powdercoat outside the over and then bake it inside the house? Or is that bad?
                97 Katana 600
                [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

It is not a good idea to do it in the house. there are fumes that come off the powder when baking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    It is not a good idea to do it in the house. there are fumes that come off the powder when baking.
                    I would also imagine that you don't want to prepare food in the PC oven either...
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                      I would also imagine that you don't want to prepare food in the PC oven either...
                      I have heated up cold pizza in the same oven I have used for pc. I just heated it up on broil, open the door and blew it out with an airhose to get rid of any lingering fumes, then shoved my pizza in.

Comment

I have heated up cold pizza in the same oven I have used for pc. I just heated it up on broil, open the door and blew it out with an airhose to get rid of any lingering fumes, then shoved my pizza in.
                        Well, that might actually explain a few things.....
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well, that might actually explain a few things.....

DAMN! Beat me to it!
                          sigpic

Comment

For anyone who might want to print these directions to take to the garage:
                            Printable Version.
                            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                            -Terence

Comment

thanks for making it downloadable, but there surely better "how to's" on the net than this one. this is just to show how simple it can be to get started.

If you are really interested in getting started, add another $30 to the initial start-up cost in order to purchase a real "how to" in the form of a dvd. They have tem on ebay. I will probably pick one up myself cuz I am just a beginner as well. I figure it will pay for itself in the sense it must tell you things to be careful of. Time and money is not something I want to lose.

You can also read the forums on caswell. It's a good place to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X