X

Which is better for touring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better for touring?

Goodday all, what is a better bike in regards to comfort and handling and anything else you can tell me about it. I'm 5'11" and I don't care about 'speed' all bikes can go fast, the two bikes are a 1990 GSX 750 and a 1990 GSX 600. And how much is a reasonable price for them the 750 is $3400 CAD with 33000km and the 600 is $2500 with 50000km. Both are reasonable for insurance and I like the looks of both so mainly I'm looking for some opinions from experienced Kat riders.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

they are pretty much the same...750 is a little quicker.

Buy the BEST bike that you could afford

Comment

try to lowball the 750 and get the price down a bit.

The miles are low on both IMHO.

Have you seen the bikes? what shape are they in? do you know the maintenace records?

Basically you want to know how much your gonna have to put into each bike to make it road worthy

do they need
      New tires?
      Brake & Fuel lines
      Valve adjustments
      and so on

Personally I'd go for the 750 for that little extra HP.
      Kyle

Comment

if you are going as far back as 90, and are 5'11, I would forget both of them and hunt down an 1100.
        why? cuz if you really want to do some touring, you will appreciate the slightly longer wheelbase, and the extra power to be able to carry a passenger and plenty of luggage. you can still do it with the other 2...but it is the difference between having to drop 1-2 gears to do it...or just opening the throttle. and the passenger will really appreciate it as well if you will be carrying one regularly. I know cuz I have asked people who rode on both.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yep they are essentially the same bike as Range mentioned. Personally I'd try for the 750 too and see if u can talk him down some. If you are going to be touring alot, you'll appreciate the added power of the 750.

Comment

Work over both bikes using this checklist and then make your decision:

CyberPoet's Pre-Purchased Used Bike Inspection Checklist (& what to avoid)

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

750 All the way.
              2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
              Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
              "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
              Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
              Veteran of the United States Air Force.
              "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

I agree with Mojoe, if you want to do some touring, then you will like
                the 1100, especially if you are two up. There are some good
                after market bags for them. Mojoe and I are a little partial to
                the 1100. There out there with some low miles. Mojoe has over
                100,000 miles ++ on his.
                'Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains" !

Comment

There is a 1100 listed on the autotrader.ca site
                  Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by MTFYR
                    I agree with Mojoe, if you want to do some touring, then you will like
                    the 1100, especially if you are two up. There are some good
                    after market bags for them. Mojoe and I are a little partial to
                    the 1100. There out there with some low miles. Mojoe has over
                    100,000 miles ++ on his.
                    I think we are talking out our ass bro. these small kitty riders are a bit biased and would never agree with us enough to make the same suggestion.
                    plus I think newer riders might think the 1100 is more than they can handle....which it isn't really.
                    it would be nice to recruit another 1100 rider on here...but I doubt it is going to happen with this guy...lol.

Comment

who's biased?

I am a 600 rider, who is going to reccomend the 750 for touring...more power...but virtually the same weight as the 600, a less aggresive seating style.

Comment

Checked with the insurance guys and the 1100 is not viable, I'm going to see about getting the 750, if it's in the shape that it looks like in the pictures. Is there anything specific too look for in these bikes (aside from the wonderful general outline given above)?

Comment

Originally posted by dyran
                          Checked with the insurance guys and the 1100 is not viable, I'm going to see about getting the 750, if it's in the shape that it looks like in the pictures. Is there anything specific too look for in these bikes (aside from the wonderful general outline given above)?
                          i can understand that. I almost shit a brick when i was quoted for insurance in ontario for my 1100. basic liability was like $2k. screw that! the excuse was that I was a new rider with no driving record in ontario....the said the one from quebec was not taken into consideration....and i was like 35 yrs old at the time. totally insane. I even tried to tell them that if I could drive in quebec for as long as I did with no claims, ontario would be a piece of cake. he didn't buy it.

Comment

Holy crap 2k mojoe? jeebus H fricken....that's ridiculous!

Comment

yes it is. even if quebec does jump the tags up to a grand, it is still cheaper here in the long run over other places in canada.
                              i believe that once you break the 1000cc mark, insurance starts to get insane in ontario. i think that is what the broker told me. that was like 6 yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X