X

Idle issues? no low end power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle issues? no low end power?

Bike was working fine until this weekend.

I jumped on her at night. Went for a ride. all fine.

Next morning. Go on it, started up hard. when started it would idle at 1krpm and slowly die.

I went for a ride to warm it up... but had to come hom because of NO low end power... if I slow down at a stop sign, I need to rev the engine up while clutching or it dies.
    I noticed that when i rev it up the headlight brightness gets better, when its ilding and loswly going down the brightness is lower...

could it be an electrical shrotage or battery?

or need to adjust idle?

ideas.

thanks.

its a 93 katana 600/

Well , you can test the charging voltage (since you seem headed in that direction anyway) rather easily . Hook up a voltmeter to the battery and see if the voltage is above 12.6 (battery voltage) while running . Should be around 13.5-14.5 or so . But that's usually normal for a headlight to get dim when the rpm's drop so low . Also , Sometimes those symptoms mean it's time for a plug change . If THAT cures it , then you need to find out WHY it was time for a plug change ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      Well , you can test the charging voltage (since you seem headed in that direction anyway) rather easily . Hook up a voltmeter to the battery and see if the voltage is above 12.6 (battery voltage) while running . Should be around 13.5-14.5 or so . But that's usually normal for a headlight to get dim when the rpm's drop so low . Also , Sometimes those symptoms mean it's time for a plug change . If THAT cures it , then you need to find out WHY it was time for a plug change ...
      For more on testing the charging system and battery, see:
      CyberPoet's motorcycle charging system and battery diagnostics and troubleshooting, at MotorcycleAnchor.com, providers of security ground anchors for motorcycles and other custom accessories.

The bit about fouled plugs is spot on.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You are running out of gas!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AkBigN
          You are running out of gas!!!
          Good point -- might be the simplest things we overlook!

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

not possible...
            The tank is halfway full... I opened the cover and looked.

Comment

Working...
            X