X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm, I have a GSX 600F -93, with some strange engine problems. I was offered a Bandit 600cc -04 engine from an other wrecked bike (engine OK). If I make the swap myself.

I read that up until -02 the swap is pretty much straight forward. But are there any updates to that text by now? That will include the 600cc -04 engine in that? I have no powertools, or welding capabilites so a swap must go without any alterations to the frame or anything else.

And, Should I ask for everything else from that bike? wiring harness, CDI, TPS and such. Sounds just simpler to just change engines, how much alike are those engines? Will the engine run well with the old carbs? (they are in good condition)

Thanks,
    Esa Salminen

Comment

And by the way, how about the exhaust from the bandit? Would the 4 to 1 system work instead of the old and rusty 4 to 2-system that is on now?

Any input on this would be nice, or even pictures of people who have done a swap?

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
        Originally posted by Special K
        ...and cutting about 1/2 of the cross bar out only at the width of that box...
        would cutting that bar have an affect on the strength of the bike's structure or is the bar only for supporting the tank?

Mainly a tank support..........

Originally posted by md86
        I'm sure it's there just for holding the tank up , as the ends that ends that bolt to the frame don't seem to be shaped OR positioned well enough to add much to the structural integrity (whoa , that ALMOST sounded smart !) . This is just my opinion , I could be wrong (but I don't think I am :bigfinger )

MD: You been sneakin' out taking classes at the local college lately? Damn, You gettin' smarter!
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Farbroron:

Basically, the Bandit is the same as the Kat engine. ALthough I have not swapped an '04 into a Kat, I did an 00 and an 02. I can't believe the 04 would have changed much if at all siince the Kat did not.

Should be a straight up simple swap..........just use YOUR OLD KAT wiring harness, carbs, CDI, etc. REMEMBER: You are only transplanting the motor & tranny (heart), don't try & take on the wiring, the carbs, etc.! (Spoken from one that DID and paid the price in hours!!! SURE.....you CAN make it work, but GHEEZ! Is it worth it?

Here's a 1994 600 Kat with the entire 2001 Kat 600 stuff: Engine, intakes, carbs, wiring harness, swithces, throttles, choke, CDI, fuse box, relays, wtc. TRUST ME! ITs a HELLUVA smooth running bike and will last a LONG TIME, but the hours were a BIATCH!

Comment

Lots of thanks for the answer, and great job on the Katana with all Bandit parts! Looks great!

One question though, as I asked before..
            How about the exhaust for the bandit, will it fit without modifications?

I'll let you guys know if I go ahead with the swap, and if there were any unexpected problems..

Thanks Special K!

Comment

MD: You been sneakin' out taking classes at the local college lately? Damn, You gettin' smarter!
              No , but I DID stay at a Holiday Express last night ...
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I don't suppose there are any fuel injected enignes that will drop into the Kat frame? I've got a small turbo that I'd LOVE to put on the bike but I'd rather not go through the hassle of trying to tune a carb/turbo setup or adapt a FI setup onto a carb'ed motor.
                --2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
                --'91 Katana 600/'04 Gixxer 600 Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                  I don't suppose there are any fuel injected enignes that will drop into the Kat frame? I've got a small turbo that I'd LOVE to put on the bike but I'd rather not go through the hassle of trying to tune a carb/turbo setup or adapt a FI setup onto a carb'ed motor.
                  Not that I'm aware of -- at least not without serious frame modification. If someone knows, they've never mentioned it here (or this place's predecessor) in the last couple years.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That's what I figured, oh well.

Thanks CP
                    --2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
                    --'91 Katana 600/'04 Gixxer 600 Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Farbrorn
                      Lots of thanks for the answer, and great job on the Katana with all Bandit parts! Looks great!

I'll let you guys know if I go ahead with the swap, and if there were any unexpected problems..

Thanks Special K!

I'm pretty sure the Bandit exhaust will NOT fit.............I used a GSXR1100 exhuast system, as the Kat ones are too small diameter (restrictive).

Comment

Thanks Special K!

I'm pretty sure the Bandit exhaust will NOT fit.............I used a GSXR1100 exhuast system, as the Kat ones are too small diameter (restrictive).
                        Hey Keith, I sold Mark (aka Beekman) a bandit header (600) and I believe that is what he's running on his kat right now. I'm guessing the 1200 bandit exhaust would work on the 1127's?

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari

Thanks Special K!

Hey Keith, I sold Mark (aka Beekman) a bandit header (600) and I believe that is what he's running on his kat right now. I'm guessing the 1200 bandit exhaust would work on the 1127's?

Dunno............but worth a try! I thought though that the mid-pipe and can did not line up is why I did not use the 1200 Bandit ones........but the header will certainly wok, eh?!

Comment

Yes, TPS is throttle position sensor. I have been fairly curious about swappiong a larger engine into my katana for a long time now. I also want to know, will a bandit 1200 cylinder jacket and head bolt to a 600 bottom end? With custom pistons, it would make one hellofa rpm motor, short stroke, large piston, high RPM and tons of HP. Who cares about torque (for the most part, gear around it).
                            If you wanna live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn!!!

Comment

ok im very interested in one of the larger displacment motor swaps and would like to know where im most likly to find one of the gsxr 1100 motors i have 3k atleast 300-650 will go twards a new frame and the rest is for the bigger engine
                              im also going to make a turbo kit for it(if you think one of the other engines would respond better or be more reliable to the turbo please say so)

also what should i ask for the 600 engine

what about the tranny

Comment

Just curious if anyone has any sort of certification paper on anything but a stock engine/frame combo(espcially from Suzuki, an importer/distributor or any EU goverment agency).
                                Would LOVE to put a Bandit 1200 into my 1990 Kat come winter, but our version of the DMV (CRM) is VERY restrictive about allowing these kinds of modifications (the 1200 JUST scrapes under the tax limit of 20% increased HP).
                                Basicly i'll have one helluva hard time trying to keep a license/insurrance on it, if i don't have these papers(forget trying to make a cert myself, as that'd probably involve trashing 2-3 bikes + pay some techies to do it )

Oh yeah.. and any kind of frame modification essentially makes the bike a 'New Model' and since it would be new it dosn't conform to Euro2 emission standards..i.e. it can never be registered(would require yet more testing and modifications)

So i think it might just be a pipe dream for me and it seems impossible(esp. since i should probably just get a bigger/faster bike or whatever)
                                But after seeing all the awesome kats on KR and drooling over them for a few months. The thought of having something unique like a 'Kabana' has really lodged itself in my brain and just won't let go
                                Just the 'Sleeperbike' effect alone would be worth it

anywho.. sorry for the long rant, please let me know if you find anything
                                -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Working...
                                X