Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Power cut out while riding...no power at all...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power cut out while riding...no power at all...

So I was riding tonight, and the bike ('91 Katana 600) just turned completely off when I was halfway across an intersection after taking off from a light... Lights off, everything. I coasted to a stop, turned the key to off, then back to on, and not even the dash lights will light up. No horn, no lights, no nothing. While I was waiting for a tow truck, a buddy came out and we took some of the plastics off, checked the battery, battery connections (all good) and all of the fuses in the fuse box to the right side of the battery (as if you were sitting on the bike). Everything checked out ok...

What else should I look for? Are there additional fuses somewhere else? If it is a loose wire, were would I look? What would cut power to the entire bike? I'm so bummed, have 3 great rides planned for the next 3 days, and unless I can quick fix this will be SOL....
    '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

unfortunately can't think of anything too useful to say...other than I hope you can get it fixed in time...

Comment

Did you check the circuit breaker? In front of the battery if I remember right. White with a red dot. Depress to reset.
      Part # 9 on this fiche for your year http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...WIRING_HARNESS
      Same location for year/make/model

And if it was the circuit breaker that popped.. the challenge is on you. Either it was a fluke and it wont happen again, or your breakers gone bad (less likely), Or you need to start looking into the wiring harness and find what wires now rubbing the chassis or another open wire if it keeps popping the main.
      Last edited by Newbie2it; 07-31-2009, 01:58 AM.
      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
        Did you check the circuit breaker? In front of the battery if I remember right. White with a red dot. Depress to reset.
        Huh...no...does it really have a circuit breaker? Will check in the morning...

The worst part was that I was riding with 4 guys, in not the best part of town, and they didn't even come back to look for me...
        What kind of guy leaves a girl by herself with broken bike late at night? Not riding with them again, thats for sure....
        Last edited by femmekat; 07-31-2009, 02:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

Comment

ditto on the breaker. Just like Newbie said, it is on the front of the battery box and will have a small red dot at the top. If it has been tripped, the litte red rod will be pushed out.

Mine would trip all the time because my battery was bad; bike would lose all electrical power.
          "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Holy crap! That was it! I love you Newbie, will you marry me?

Could overheating pop that breaker?

Comment

Overheating would not do it alone, but if it overheated and that melted a wire casing...

You may want to inspect all of your wiring harness for any hot spots. Melted plugs, burnt/blackened spots on wires, etc... I would also suggest making sure all your connections have been cleaned, and dielectric grease has been applied.

You may not find exactly why it happened this time, but by doing this it may help to prevent issues in the future for you.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X