March

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Riding Tips

Riding Tips First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Metalredneck
Chicken Strip

Default Is it getting worse out there?

Lately I've had people crossing the yellow line at me, at the rate of about two a day, on my daily commute. Most are on cel-phones, some are just stupid. I had one broad driving a schoolbus (empty, thank Christ,) going through an intersection while texting, and two weeks ago an ambulance driver, half over the line, while texting. (Drumming up biz?) I also saw one schmuck on a Harley with the cel-phone mounted to his tank, tapping away with his left hand.

I'm at the point, I'm considering unloading the Kat, and sticking to off-road activities.

Anybody got any words of wisdom? Anecdotes? Rants?
Is it actually getting worse, or am I entering the Curmudgeon Years?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Heeltoeclutch
Katrider

Here in SoCal I wouldn't say things have been markedly worse than I normally expect them to be - there are always unaware people and certain neighborhoods have predictable driving habits, etc.

Every day there are several accidents on the major freeways, and that has been the norm for years. I don't see too many people texting and driving here - but it is illegal here to use a cellphone while driving at all without a hands-free device, which may be part of it. Or I'm just not noticing it.

I sorta think the baseline driver here is just pretty incompetent and unaware - we should all move to Finland, where the baseline driver is a World Rally Champion.
Heeltoeclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
shpielers
Kat Legend

NorCal here - drivers are just terrifying. While I notice a difference from area to area, within a given area I haven't seen anything get worse, but I'm also at the tip of the generations that grew up with cell phones (32) so...if you're older than that, there likely was a drop off mostly caused by that some time ago that for me has just always been normal.

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Metalredneck
Chicken Strip

I actually saw a guy yesterday going through a busy intersection on an e-bike (probably lost his license for DUI,) with a phone held to his left ear, right hand on the bars.
Go Darwin!
Metalredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
the wind
Kat Champion

eBay ID: rolltideroll

your right, I've been dodging more people lately.
the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
diavolo
Kat Legend

eBay ID: ntdefeo

The situation of "distracted drivers" has gotten worse. I rarely have a commute that doesn't have at least one or two accidents caused by an inept driver. Even though it is illegal to talk/text/drive, it is incredible the amount of people who regularly flout the law - as though their "right" to yap/text while operating a vehicle takes precedence over their responsibility to operate their vehicle in a safe manner. Common courtesy is no longer common on the road - it is trumped by self important azzhats that have no business being allowed to operate a vehicle - weaving in and out of lanes, cutting others off and in general being a scourge to society. Until tougher laws are in place and effectively enforced, one must maintain a constant vigil over the ever lurking dolt ready to pull a moronic maneuver in the blink of an eye. Stay alert, ensure you always have an escape route, and dress for the slide.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
shpielers
Kat Legend

Almost got t-boned on the way to work by someone on a cell phone running a red light...
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #8
Mrontime
Katrider

Its getting bad in Texas, i see cops on cell phones txting while driving. I drive for a living and i can say that in the last 5 years its become a serious problem. Its like people cant go for 5 minutes without being bored. Drugs are illegal, they are still around. Laws wont stop this. Its just generation feels, an entire planet of sociopaths screaming look at me but only staring in the mirror.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #9
Metalredneck
Chicken Strip

Just lost a neighbor last week. Pastor, married. Kid turned left in front of him. Two days later, two more got hit south of here, same scenario.
I think I'm done.
Anyone in Southern Ontario want a 2005 600?
Metalredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
92xjunker
Kat King

eBay ID: guysmustang

Yup, they are freakin crazier than normal. Megaspeeders, wild lane changes, lots of near misses....and thatís just me.....
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Riding Tips