Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Another one who learned the hard way....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one who learned the hard way....

Found this on another site..just another story of someone who had to learn the hard way..

I haven't posted on the site in a while because of a terrible accident I had. On Oct. 24, I decided to go over to my gf's and go for a walk with her. Because we were going on a walk, I wore jeans instead of leather pants, but had on an AGV jacket, a helmet, gloves, and leather boots. It was fairly warm so I decided to ride my bike over for probably one of the last rides this year before winter (how ironic). About 1 mile from her house, I decided to ride about 5 min. the opposite direction to hit 2 good sweepers since it was such a nice day out (not many curves around here). On the way, I passed a group of about 5 riders at a stopsign. I continued on, and about a 1/2 mile out of town, they began to pass me on a long straightaway. Right before the sweepers, they start to hit their brakes, which made me roll my eyes, so I safely passed a few of them. About 1/4 mile after the sweepers, I was struck from the rear by an R6 traveling at a very high rate of speed.

I do not remember being hit, nor anything that followed, including the lifeflight, although I was awake and responding the entire time. I spent about a month or so in the hospital. The doctors said it is a miracle that I can walk. I had a broken ankle, leg, back, and shoulder blade. My L5 vertebre basically exploded and they put a titanium basket and screws in there to replace it. 2.5 months later, I am still wearing a walking boot for my ankle/leg and a clamshell vest to keep my back straight. My jacket was cut off me but saved me a ton of pain since I had no roadrash despite sliding on asphalt for quite a while. My helmet obviously saved my life, it looked like a bear swiped the back of it with his claws (shoei rf900). The other rider was wearing no protective gear and i believe he died on impact. His bike was thrown over 30 yards into a cornfield. My F4i was totaled, the swingarm was snapped in half, breaking both braces. The rear rim was bent in a few inches also. I must have hit the ground hard, because I found out about a week ago that the house and truck keys I keep in my wallet were both bent so bad they won't work.

I must have bad luck with F4i's, last fall I hit a deer and totaled one out, now I get hit and total another and almost die. Anyway, I know you people are big boys and girls (well, most of ya) and make your own choices, but here is another story of how gear saved my life when it wasn't even my own fault. I didn't even know the guy, and him either showing off, not paying attention, or whatever, nearly cost me my life and it did cost him his.

I guarantee before I get another bike, I will have a full race suit and another helmet and wear them religiously. (end of story)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Case in point:

Please don't try to prove anything on the street about how fast you are to other people. Whether you choose to wear gear or not, I don't care. Some of us would like to be able to lead a normal life. Let me tell you it is pretty embarrassing to have to have someone wipe your you know what for you when you are in the hospital for a month because you are barely able to move. Not to mention my National Guard infantry company that just left for Iraq is now 1 sergeant short. I am not really bitter about the incident, because accidents happen, but if you are gonna ride recklessly, then do it when nobody else is around. Thanks for hearing me out and I hope everyone has a safe year, hopefully I will be in good enough shape in about 3-4 months that I can get another bike and be out there again with you guys.

i am currently looking into buying a back(spine) protector. the pads in all my jackets (3) don't have hardened armor.

tim

Comment

i have a decent leather jacket now, but after reading that, i'm going to go buy a real nice one iwth the armor and everything. that is scary.
      if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Dang. I learned that lesson pretty well as a teenager, but not to that very serious extent. Growing up helps everybody.
        AMA member # 224227

Comment

the problem is, growing up and learning the hard way often times leads to even worse circumstances than what he is pulling out of.

Comment

I meant, growing up will be better for all, after you have grown up. Immature people do stupid things, that get them hurt, and others as well. Did it, got past it, now I know better, and choose not to do stuff that is as stupid.

p.s. opinions of wives are often biased in this category.
            AMA member # 224227

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of his plight. Other riders are dangerous... WORD!

I know that in Europe you can pop into almost any motorcycle shop and find foam-over-PVC race-style padding for jackets, but I've had a hard time locating the same thing as an aftermarket add-in for my gear here. I do want to upgrade from the dual-density foam to the foam-on-plastic pads for at least one of my American-acquired jackets (the German jackets all already have the foam-on-hard-plastic armor). Any clues where to look?

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

New Enough sells the CE Armour in kits and by the piece I think. Check them out and see if they have what you are looking for.

Here's a link:

AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
                  New Enough sells the CE Armour in kits and by the piece I think. Check them out and see if they have what you are looking for.

Here's a link:

http://www.newenough.com/product_gro...body_armor.htm
                  Thanks. They had them (GP-style hard armor)

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That should bring it to something like...

Meikol = 3

Cyber = 100

Were almost even...
                    AMA member # 224227

Comment

Cyber I got my hard armour from New Enough and they fit great in my Teknic suit.

Sad to see this kind of story. Point being always pay attention where you are going and wear your gear.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
                        Sad to see this kind of story. Point being always pay attention where you are going and wear your gear.
                        and dont show off..to yourself or to others

Comment

protection is everything!!!!
                          2 years ago i crashed with my brand new yamaha fazer into a car!!the car driver doesn´t saw me, he said!!
                          3 weeks hospital and metal in my arm was the result!
                          West of Germany
                          greetz Carsten

Comment

Working...
                          X