Blown motor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown motor?

Rawrrrr I'm ****ed.

Speeding up to get on the highway.. 10k rpm.. shifted gears... then all of a sudden I hear clunking noises so I clutch in and go to a stop on the side of the highway.

Lost oil... tried to see if bike would at least turn over with the starter but it won't. It's dark out so I can't see what if any visable damage is done.

Suggestions?

You have to get some sort of light onto the engine and figure out what's going on. Without a visual inspection there is no way of knowing if it is simply an oil line that broke dumping your oil causing an overheat, or something busted your oil pan or if a connecting rod broke loose and exploded through the cylinder block or engine case. Get a look at it in some light and let us know what you find. If the engine didn't seize and lock up the back wheel on you, it COULD be not so bad.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

damnit. So after the sun came up today I went to look at it..

Should I try to look for a replacement engine? I'm on a Island in Canada so its harder I would imagine to find a replacement ):

Last edited by acidice333; 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

JB Weld will fix that right up.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

J b weld & a lil love

Comment

Is that the small end on the connecting rod that shot through the case? If so...I don't envy you. That's crazy.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

This blows.. Only got to ride it for 2 and a half tanks.

And this also sucks having to have 50 posts to post into the WTB section.

Someone have a post-98 engine forsale?

Comment

Look on the bright side, now you have an excuse to install a bigger engine...
                sigpic
                »Ross Wendell
                »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Did the crank break? How the heck is the rod cap still on the rod?
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

this is the first katana motor i have ever seen blown to bit like that. what caused this ? low oil or what? i mean for the motor to blow apart?

Comment

VERY impressive. Did you hit like 20k rpm?
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by acidice333 View Post
                        Rawrrrr I'm ****ed.

Speeding up to get on the highway.. 10k rpm.. shifted gears... then all of a sudden I hear clunking noises so I clutch in and go to a stop on the side of the highway.

Lost oil... tried to see if bike would at least turn over with the starter but it won't. It's dark out so I can't see what if any visable damage is done.

Suggestions?
                        Did you happen to miss a shift and overrev the engine? That'll chuck a rod for sure if the crank was already damaged.
                        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Wow, that's impressive.

Since it's in the lower case (bottom end), it's going to be easier to replace the whole engine.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Pretty sure I didn't mis-shift.

I was at 10k, clutch in, shifted, clutch out.. hmm no power? gave it more gas.. clunk!

This is gonna be fun trying to find another motor ):

Comment

You can find some on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Su...#ht_2222wt_944

Comment

Working...
                              X