What i want to do to my 97 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What i want to do to my 97 Katana

Hey everyone,

I have a 1997 blue and yellow Katana, and i made a little photoshop of what i want to do on the Katana before the season starts here in Quebec.

I'm a bit annoyed by the yellow on the bike, so i am thinking to wrap it with white vinyl.

Paint the rim in black and also paint the front wheel cover.

( my visor is already tinted, but wasn't on the picture i used. I already shove the back shovel too)

Below is what it could look like, so what do you guys think?

Left is the original one (duh!) and right is what i am planning to do.

Last edited by RankinX; 02-21-2013, 12:53 AM. Reason: added details
    GSX600F '97

For me they both look good but if I had to choose I'd stick with the yellow.

Engelskmannen.
    Carpe Jugulum...
    1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Originally posted by Engelskmannen View Post
      For me they both look good but if I had to choose I'd stick with the yellow.

Engelskmannen.

+1
      I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

I'd leave it personally, you just don't see unmolested older bikes like that anymore. BUT, it's your bike, not mine, do your thing...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
          I'd leave it personally, you just don't see unmolested older bikes like that anymore. BUT, it's your bike, not mine, do your thing...
          +100
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
            That's where I'm at, too. Maybe treat the rear wheel to match the front.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I agree with keeping the yellow and leave the front fender in the original color. But go ahead and swap out the windscreen with a smoked one... that would look better
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Bottom line it's your bike but I'm with everyone else.

+101 to keeping it as is
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

i'm kinda surprise of the response because i thought i looked better. The reason why i want to put vinyl over the yellow stripes is that it can be removed, it's not completely permanent.

I know it's more rare to see one with the original paint and stripes for those older model.

It's harder to find a matching helmet with the yellow stripes i find unless i go for black
                  GSX600F '97

Comment

Originally posted by RankinX View Post
                    i'm kinda surprise of the response because i thought i looked better. The reason why i want to put vinyl over the yellow stripes is that it can be removed, it's not completely permanent.

I know it's more rare to see one with the original paint and stripes for those older model.

It's harder to find a matching helmet with the yellow stripes i find unless i go for black

I would definately not paint anything on the really good looking OEM paint.

But... the vinyl... I would go all out on. Your right, it's really easy to cover the old with new of a different color.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I agree, the white looks better than the yellow. My objection was based on the idea of painting over a factory finish that's still in good shape.

By all means though, it's your bike so of course you're going to do what you want with it no matter what all of us idiots think.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'm at the same stage as you ... I have an original green/yellow striping 1996 katana 750. The yellow stripes are loosing their appeal and want to paint white pearl and matt black accents. Keep us posted on your decision.

Comment

Being vinyl I would say go for it but I would not paint the front fender. As others have said, your bike looks fantastic. I prefer the yellow but mostly from a safety aspect as I think it stands out better. Maybe even coming up with a vinyl that would change the shape of the graphic would be interesting. I think the stock graphic style on pre and post Kats are outdated.

Comment

If you did go ahead with the paint job, I'd consider paining the windscreen mounting bolts white/grey as well.

I agree with the majority, though. If you ever decided to sell her, she'd fetch a very pretty price in the current state she's in to the rightful seeking buyer. Not a fan of it unless it's got some glossifier on it, but there's always plasti-dip if you're wanting some change.
                            Last edited by Purplehaze; 01-06-2014, 02:31 PM.
                            - Purplehaze
                            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

looks a lot better than the purple and pink decals I had on mine I would use vinyl or plasti-dip like purplehaze suggested. You can get white plasti-dip from Lowe's and a few other places. They also have a YouTube page with a ton of how-to videos for best results
                              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                              X