X

GPS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS?

i know alot fo people use gps systems. just wondering what everyone runs and how much tye go for.

i want something portable enough to move from the car to the bike as needed. i would like it to be pretty capable no thing overly fancy as price is an issue lol
    03 katanika

i am also interested in this information as well... i did a search a few weeks back and the tomtom for motorcycles looked pretty good, and i think they said it could go in the car as well, but it was all types of expensive...

Comment

Garmin seems to be the most popular. Check out amazon.com for prices and different units.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

I have a Garmin etrex Legend C. I think we paid about $200 for it at Target last fall. Works very nice, other than having to velcro it to the bike. It has a "Big" text option which makes it easier to see as well.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Why bother with a GPS on an on-road vehicle unless it shines at on-street navigation and maps...

IMHO, the BEST option right now for a portable unit which is easily transferred from bike to car is the Garmin Quest. I absolutely love mine... Completely waterproof and runs on battery or 12v. Batteries last a good 16 hours. Navigation is superb. Definitely a great unit.
          -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
            Why bother with a GPS on an on-road vehicle unless it shines at on-street navigation and maps...

IMHO, the BEST option right now for a portable unit which is easily transferred from bike to car is the Garmin Quest. I absolutely love mine... Completely waterproof and runs on battery or 12v. Batteries last a good 16 hours. Navigation is superb. Definitely a great unit.
            The Quest rocks!
            I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

I also have a Garmin eTrex Legend C and I'm looking at getting a RAM mount to mount it on my Kat somewhere.

Anybody else have the RAM mount system? I'm looking at the one that replaces the bolts in the master cylinder.
              -Tiny

'05 Katana 600

Comment

I have a garmin etrex, I just throw it in the tank bag and go. I also have a mount made that I can use on either the bike or the car, but it seemed to get a lot of vibration the the bike, so I am thinking of trying to design another mount.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny1877

Anybody else have the RAM mount system? I'm looking at the one that replaces the bolts in the master cylinder.
                  I've used a RAM mount to hold the Quest on both my VFR and my old TLR. They work well.

VFR:

TLR:

On my Aprilia, I use a mount made by techmounts.com:

On the TLR and VFR I used Garmin's own powered motorcycle cradle attached to the RAM mount. The Aprilia has an unpowered cradle made by RAM.
                  I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                    I have a Garmin etrex
                    Does those Gamin ETREX work for roads as well? I thought they were hand units, which were not that good for high speed motion like on a motorcycle?

I have a Garmin Streetpilot i2 which is the best bang for the buck in automotoive GPS. I got it for under $190. The only issue is that it is not waterproof, but I have seen where people in Europe have been using it on mototcycles. I am not sure I would want to risk putting this one on my motorcycle though. I would prefer to get a cheaper one. (I am still in school). lol.

So, what are you guys opinions on the Etrex as a motorcycle GPS?
                    Roops Photography|facebook|
                    03 GSXR 1000
                    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

i also have a quest, i love it

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Originally posted by profroopchan
                        Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                        I have a Garmin etrex
                        Does those Gamin ETREX work for roads as well? I thought they were hand units, which were not that good for high speed motion like on a motorcycle?

I have a Garmin Streetpilot i2 which is the best bang for the buck in automotoive GPS. I got it for under $190. The only issue is that it is not waterproof, but I have seen where people in Europe have been using it on mototcycles. I am not sure I would want to risk putting this one on my motorcycle though. I would prefer to get a cheaper one. (I am still in school). lol.

So, what are you guys opinions on the Etrex as a motorcycle GPS?
                        It seemed to work fine for me... I just velcroed it to the bars. It's updates seemed fast enough for me... I was just using it to check speed, however, it was pretty inline with the highway/backroad maps, so I can't complain really... I wasn't using it for anything special though, as I'm sure other poeple do.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I have had a Garmin GPS II Plus since 1997. No mapping software at all. It's a real dinosaur. I like it because it provides all the current information like trip miles, elapsed time, max speed(resettable without killing the other info), average speed, elevation, bearing, heading, etc.

As far as mapping options with GPS, I have a HP Pocket PC that runs Ostia, Microsoft Streets and Trips, & Delorme Street Atlas Handheld with the Pharos GPS receiver. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and the Pocket PC doubles as my MP3 player as well and it fits in the tank bag nicely. Quite handy but I still prefer paper maps as primary nav-aid and only fall back to GPS nav if more detail is needed.

Comment

I see alot of people in Europe has been using Garmin Streetpilot I-Series GPS on motorcycle.

There are other links from other people who uses it as well. I highly recommend people even getting this if only for their cars. You wonder how you ever lived without one, when you do get it.
                            I got mine for $185. Its monochrome screen, but who cares. I am extremely happy with it. I only need to figure out how to get it safely on my motorcycle
                            Roops Photography|facebook|
                            03 GSXR 1000
                            04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                            Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Working...
                            X