Katana of the Month - April 2007 - KatanaSoldier

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > At the Track

At the Track Some Katana's see track duty. Some owners have multiple bikes. This is the place to chat about track days.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #31
dano68
Kat Champion

Great vid Dan, thank you for sharing. But you really do need to work on the "Endurance" part
2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

dano68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #32
ygolohcysp
Track Rider

eBay ID: theovergrowngnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano68 View Post
Great vid Dan, thank you for sharing. But you really do need to work on the "Endurance" part
You're welcome. Thank you for watching it!

As for the endurance, I did ride as fast as I could for two solid hours. I know you're joking, but you're right also. I should start riding my mountain bike over winter/spring to get my legs in better shape.
ygolohcysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #33
ygolohcysp
Track Rider

eBay ID: theovergrowngnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygolohcysp View Post
I should start riding my mountain bike over winter/spring to get my legs in better shape.

So, while riding my DRZ a few weekends ago, I started sliding. Figuring I was going to crash, decided to put my foot back up on the peg. Peg hit back of ankle while ball of foot hit street. I got an avulsion fracture and damaged some tendons. There go my hopes of getting my legs in better shape early.

Anyway, I still have news to report. After having switched my DRZ from a round slide standard CV carb to an FCR/MX flat slide carb with an accelerator pump, I knew the kind of difference it could make. I was already using a 28mm flat slide carb on the crf, but I wanted to find something with an accelerator pump. Well, I ended up finding one that is very similar to the Keihin FCR carb, but it's a Mikuni. Apparently, it was built specifically for Suzuki, who used it for a limited number of years on the drz250. It's rated as a 28mm, has a non-round intake side for increased low end performance without restricting upper end performance, and the engine side has a 30mm port. That's more than I knew about it when I finally decided to order a brand new one.

I had to order that rubber intake boot, and that's where the problems began. For one, it's hitting the frame in the center. For another, the throttle cable needs to be custom made, and in the configuration it came with, needs to go through the gas tank. Have no fear, machine tools are here! I made an aluminum spacer that fits in the rubber boot, and aside from angling the carb to not hit the frame, it also tapers from the 30mm carb (offset towards the bottom) to the smaller port in the head (offset to the side) for smooth air/fuel flow all the way through.

I addressed the issue of the throttle cable by making my own brass barrel for the end and soldering it on. I also made a new bracket for the carb, and made a brass pulley. The throttle works great!

And lastly, I have some interesting information I recently found out. Last year towards the end of the season, I went to a track in NY on an open practice day just to have fun and try out a new track. I was the only bike, so I was alone during my sessions, between sessions running karts. It was a lot of fun, great place, and great people there. It was OVRP. I just recently learned that the North Eastern Supermoto Championship races there. A guy on a supermoto group went there not too long ago and posted up his best lap time of around 48 seconds. I was 3 seconds off from his time, with a 51 second lap for myself. But, I was on my 150. He was on a 450. I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Here was one of my fast laps:

http://youtu.be/LDNSFTnLk08

That's the best I could do with the pics without taking the time to download them, resize them, and upload them again. If you want to see the pics in their horrifyingly large size, it's the same url, but remove the 'b' right before the '.jpg'.
ygolohcysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #34
shpielers
Kat Legend

Red face

Always appreciate the updates to this thread.

Hope you heal up quickly.

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > At the Track