X

How does your bike title look??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does your bike title look??

So my brother is really looking into this katana we found online. When we went to so sign the title over the owner pulls out a white paper that looks like he just typed up. We were little iffy so we said we would come back exactly in one week. He said ok. How does the title to a motorcycle look like for reals??? Pics would help greatly!!! thanks all.

Where in chicago are you? title looks the same as a cars. i think what he's giving you is a "bill of sale" (i think that what its called) you might have problem getting it registered. try asking the seller for a copy then take it to the sec. of state and see what they say.
    PAUL
    93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

+1

Titles look the same for cars and bikes (at least in NC). I agree that he pulled out a Bill of Sale (also sometimes required for registration - in *addition* to the title).
      "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Title = Colored ink in a securty pattern. Owners name and address along with VIN of bike and mileage will be typed and it will also carry a seal from the state that issued it.

Bill of sale = White paper with black ink, details may be typed or hand written and will include VIN number, seller info, buyer info and dates.

Title in hand = Go to the license branch, go directly to the license branch, pass go, spend your $200 and plate that mutha.

Bill of sale only in hand = Go to license branch and have VIN run, then file affidavit, then have inspection done, then, and then, and then, and then.... you get the point.

You DO NOT want to accept vehicle with bill of sale only and your local DMV will tell you that it is pretty much useless and the only thing it is really good for is if you happen to get pulled over on the way home to show that the vehicle was just purchased and the title has not been transferred yet. It does not act as a title in the case of lost paperwork and although required when trying to file for a lost or stolen title, it DOES NOT act as a substitute and is only the very smallest of the hoops you will jump through to get an actual title.

Personally I'd tell the dude to either produce the true or state issued replacement title, drop $1000 off the price because of the headaches you will have getting a true title if he can't produce it or just walk away and save yourself a world of trouble.
        If you should choose to accept it that way then plan to spend no less than $400 and a minimum of at least a month to get it straightened out.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

+1 ^^^^^

also, when was the bike last registered? as in when was it last licensed? I don't know about your area, but here in Qc, if the vehicle was not licensed the previous year, or had a "storage" tag on it, you might have to pass inspection. You have to pass inspection if the bike skips a year of either being licensed or stored with a "storage tag", here in quebec.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Take him and the paperwork to the DMV and do the transaction there, ensuring that they believe everything is in order. If they say it'll fly, it's golden, otherwise, forget it.

In Florida, dealers will give you a manually-typed version (still sits on a pre-printed form) that you can use until the state sends you the "real" or permanent title in the mail.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X