X

still problem pitbull New Front stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still problem pitbull New Front stand

ok so i Finally got the Standard pin for my stand. go to use it and the stand touchs the front fairings. the whole curved area of the stand presses right against the fairing. none of the weight is on the Pin so i cant lift it at all.

can anyone that has the stand explain how you got it to work lol.

i tried the adjustment screw on the Pin and it didnt seem to do anything either ;\

does it matter if the bike is on the centertstand already? maybe thats the problem... seemed stupid that it wouldnt work on the stand though.
    03 katanika

I doubt the Pitbull will work with your bike on the centerstand. I know mine won't with my VFR on it's centerstand as the bike's stand isn't tall enough. The Pitbull is made to work with a traditional swingarm stand.
    I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
      I doubt the Pitbull will work with your bike on the centerstand. I know mine won't with my VFR on it's centerstand as the bike's stand isn't tall enough. The Pitbull is made to work with a traditional swingarm stand.
      doesnt say anything about swingarm stand being needed. just that you need to have it supported from falling over really...
      03 katanika

Comment

Hmmm, I never thought of that. I've used the Pitbull front stand on my Gixxer and my Kat, but always in conjunction with a standard rear wheel stand. You might have to bite the bullet and get a swingarm stand. I see that newenough is selling a few now, although you can always check eBay or your local shops to compare prices.

Sorry, I know I said the pitbull would work with the standard pins, but I never even considered using it with the centerstand as opposed to a rear wheel stand.

Do you have a friend you can borrow a rear stand from?

Good luck - you'll get it to work soon enough!
        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
          Hmmm, I never thought of that. I've used the Pitbull front stand on my Gixxer and my Kat, but always in conjunction with a standard rear wheel stand. You might have to bite the bullet and get a swingarm stand. I see that newenough is selling a few now, although you can always check eBay or your local shops to compare prices.

Sorry, I know I said the pitbull would work with the standard pins, but I never even considered using it with the centerstand as opposed to a rear wheel stand.

Do you have a friend you can borrow a rear stand from?

Good luck - you'll get it to work soon enough!
          ya i didnt even think about the rear stand either, i thought i saw someone post something about using the center stand as support from tipping sideways so i figured it worked. i didnt think the rear stand would effect that much. i mean raising the back isnt lifting the front end at all, if anything raising the back more would just tilt the fairings forward making them lower...

i might have it on the centerstand and have someone grab the handle bars to tilt the bike backwards on the stand and see if that gives me enough clearance.

i know ill need the rear stand eventually but was hoping to wait. this tire change project is starting to cost Way to much lol.

what type of rear stands does everyone use? i saw the standard one and the newer forward arm style. the forward arm style looks cool leaving the back of the bike open(no handle in the way). seems like it would be easier to use the forward handle style. not sure what the disadvantages of it are though...

also spools or no spools? are spools hard to put on do they add any real advantage?
          03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
            doesnt say anything about swingarm stand being needed. just that you need to have it supported from falling over really...
            Even if you have someone push down on the rear and the stand goes under the fairing, you'll probably find that the rear wheel hits the ground long before the front tire is in the air. You need a rear stand to safely use this front stand.

I have actually used mine without the rear when I pulled both the forks and the swingarm off my TLR at the same time. However, I did so by first using both stands then supporting the rear of the bike at that height before removing the rear stand.

BTW:

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
              Even if you have someone push down on the rear and the stand goes under the fairing, you'll probably find that the rear wheel hits the ground long before the front tire is in the air. You need a rear stand to safely use this front stand.

I have actually used mine without the rear when I pulled both the forks and the swingarm off my TLR at the same time. However, I did so by first using both stands then supporting the rear of the bike at that height before removing the rear stand.

BTW:
              sigh i guess im ordering a rear stand then. my front stand does not have that warning sticker though so...
              03 katanika

Comment

I recently used jimmies pit bull stands. and yes the stand did touch the fairings. I took a chance and lifted it anyway and it worked. not something I'd want to do regularly though. I would think you could get a longer pin or fab one up yourself and it would work.

Comment

well i got an email back from pitbull, according to them its fine to use with the kats center stand. ill give it another shot i guess.

'Here are some suggestions: 1) make sure the pin is shoved all the way into the hole. If it is not, the angle will not be correct. If this does not fix the problem: 2) The set screw in the standard pin can be screwed out slightly to change the angle of the stand. Run it out until you can just barely get the pin into the hole.

The only caution about using it with a center stand is: When lifting front of bike, the bike will tilt back onto rear tire. It is okay if the back tire touches and even okay if the rear shock compresses but make sure the bike is not lifted off the center stand. If it looks like this will happen, you can put some 2 x 4 wooden blocks under center stand before using front stand.

Charlie V.'
                  03 katanika

Comment

I hope you get it sorted without incident. The stand was too short on my VFR and the centerstand tried to lift off the ground. Hopefully the Katana's stand is longer. Maybe it's just me, but when I compare the cost of rashed fairings to the price of a swingarm stand I find it's not worth the risk of trying to block up the centerstand on 2x4's.

Comment

I hope you get it sorted without incident. The stand was too short on my VFR and the centerstand tried to lift off the ground. Hopefully the Katana's stand is longer. Maybe it's just me, but when I compare the cost of rashed fairings to the price of a swingarm stand I find it's not worth the risk of trying to block up the centerstand on 2x4's.
                      i hear ya on cost of a fall over vs proper stands. thats the reason i have the front stand. i just didnt want to wait or drop another 140$ on a stand just to get the front tire changed. its on the list to buy.

but i did get the front end up no problems. turned out i just needed to adjust the screw on the pin to get the right angle. the centerstand stayd on the ground just fine and it was stable. i had some car jack stands under the foot pegs to help with that just in case.
                      03 katanika

Comment

Working...
                      X