Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, it would be a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
      I picked up a cheap windscreen for 20 bucks from Japan, along with a new used headlight and bracket, the correct front brake lines for the an anti-dive setup as well and NOS mirrors. Here are couple more recent pics.

Will post some more later. Upgraded the right bar switch, did some more cable routing changes, installed all the blinkers. Will update it as have some time. Now that I can get back on again.
      I'm sure I got the same $20 screen from Webike. It sounded too good to be true but it fits perfectly!

Comment

Yes, that's the same one. Eventually I am going to get the OEM type clear with the border, but it looks better with the cheap one than what I had at the time.

Too bad you can't restore them. I tried sanding and polishing but it was lost cause.

Yes, that's the same one. Eventually I am going to get the OEM type clear with the border, but it looks better with the cheap one than what I had at the time.

Too bad you can't restore them. I tried sanding and polishing but it was lost cause.

Did you start a thread on your restore?
        Last edited by branumhawk; 04-28-2015, 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Started my top end refresh today. Picked up some low mileage top end components, like all of them, and got going. My higher mileage engine should appreciate a little more compression and fresh face what the hell.

Here is where we are at.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
            Started my top end refresh today. Picked up some low mileage top end components, like all of them, and got going. My higher mileage engine should appreciate a little more compression and fresh face what the hell.

Here is where we are at.
            Awesome! I've been waiting for someone to start working on their Kat, again.
            GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

I ran into a little buggered head cap nut, but carefully drilled a pilot and one hole slightly larger than stud and tapped it off. Cant tell which hole it went in from looking at the head. I am using a different head anyway, but at least I didn't damage this one.

Used some deep creep and let it soak about an hour before a wacked it four or five times with a hammer before using the stud tool to back it out. Buddy of mine has plenty of extra stock ones and I am getting a couple this afternoon.

Pistons are cleaned up and ready to install rings. The bore I pictured with a squirt of oil, wide open throttle, registered just 80 lbs compression in the old cylinders.

With a complete tear down box of bolts I got a few years back and the top end I picked up last year makes scrounging parts easy for a change. Nothing better than having too many head bolts, washers and parts when doing a project.

Hopefully I will get into it a little more this weekend. Have a wedding to go to this evening, cant wait.
              Attached Files

Comment

Make SURE you put new o rings on those front, center 2 head nuts & grease the orings before you reinstall those 2 head nuts.
                Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Thanks Ray, I will do so. Any procedure on head gasket that works best for you. I have re used some of the these layered steel gaskets before and cleaned them real good, degreased and then used that copper in a can applied to both sides and let dry for 24 hours before sticking them back in.

Used to use it on metal base gaskets on old triumphs as well.

Thanks for the input and what is the consequence of the oil getting around those O-rings on those front recessed head caps? Are those studs outside the motor and would leak on the engine I guess.

Comment

Seat I found on GSR came in today. Very Happy with it. Clean it up and some dye and it should look really good.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Looks good, Josh. Try using a real soft brush to clean. I used some suede cleaner from the furniture store on mine, it worked very well. I think we got it at Sofa Mart, Furniture Row. Good luck.

Comment

• Appreciate it. It's old and don't I want to scrub into it with rat tail file I will look for some and see how it goes. Going to check with flying bulldog and see what color he used on those hides seats he had covered. I plan on picking up the leather he has left to do one seat and I can always use the leather working with my birds. I usually get a kangaroo hide every three years or so to make t he anklets and jesses on the hawks I hunt with.

Comment

• Here is the seat after just a little cleanup with special stuff from shoe repair shop.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
                            Here is the seat after just a little cleanup with special stuff from shoe repair shop.
                            Hard to tell from the pic, what do you think?

And.... is the bike sitting in your kitchen?

Comment

• Now Joe, you know I keep bikes all over the house My wife does her best work in the kitchen and I do too.

Comment

• lol... best quote ever.
                                "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
                                X