Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I think someone tried to steal my Kat...oh yeah, help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think someone tried to steal my Kat...oh yeah, help.

I'm not sold on the idea of a possible theft...yet. But I'll have the dog out tonight!

Anyway, my ignition is a little tweaked. The little cover on the keyhole is pushed over and stuck there...and it's kinda hard to get the key in all the way. I had to use moderate force to get it in there far enough to turn it off lock this morning, once I get it in far enough (no twisting needed), it's fine to use. It's a little hard to get out, too.

It's only like this for the last 1 cm or so, the rest of the process is easy as usual.

Should I not ride it 'til I get a new one (don't say this), or is there a product i should try first??

I'm not a locksmith/theif...so I'm stuck. Unless I replace it.

-Steve

'89 Toyota Supra Targa N/A
    '90 Supra Turbo- mods in profile
    '96 Kat 750-mods in profile--SOLD!!
    '96 Honda CBR900rr -- I go outside and hump it at night.
    '02 Honda CBR954rr -- Red, 'cause it's faster!

On my 2006 I can actually turn the top part of the ignition to prevent you from putting your key in, it part of the security, put the steering lock on and then turn the top part so the key will not go it, so some dumb A$$ can not stick a screw driver in.

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

Originally posted by mcmahonm
      On my 2006 I can actually turn the top part of the ignition to prevent you from putting your key in...
      My TLR does that too.

Maybe some lock cylinder graphite would loosen that cover up? I suppose you could also use some WD-40 to get the job done, it'll attract dirt over time though.
      '01 TL1000R

Comment

Have you had a history of vandalism in your area? Ever had it before? Noticed anything else suspicious around your neighboorhood recently?

As long as you can start it ok and it stays running, I'd say it's ok to continue riding it..but you want to be careful with continued use of "moderate force" getting the key in and out. If you're not careful you could damage it more or bend your key.

Comment

Spray graphite for the lock. This will make it easier to use the key without causing future problems with dust/dirt attraction. Hardware stores sell it as keyhole or lock lube.

If you are concerned that someone is trying to swipe the Kat, bolt it down. Stout lock, chain, and something permanent to attach it to -- you want to make the process as complicated as possible to deter them (because a motivated theif factors in difficulty in his decision, but can't be stopped if he really is set on something -- but it's a Kat, so making it more trouble than it's worth is worth pursuing). As always, I still sell MotorcycleAnchors to help your type of situation -- and for my KR brothers, I sell 'em cheap.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

graphite. i use it for deadbolt locks on front doors. prolly sell it at home depot. just puff it in the keyhole once, and work your key in and out of it about a dozen times, it should get gradually easier each time.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses...I'm off to go get some graphite after work today.

I'm in no rush to ride it this week since we've been getting rain dumped on us in PA.

-Steve

'89 Toyota Supra Targa N/A
              '90 Supra Turbo- mods in profile
              '96 Kat 750-mods in profile--SOLD!!
              '96 Honda CBR900rr -- I go outside and hump it at night.
              '02 Honda CBR954rr -- Red, 'cause it's faster!

Comment

Where is pa do you live steve??

Comment

Working...
                X