X

Warm up idle...how long??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm up idle...how long??

I have a 96 750...how long should i idle after choke until warm enough to ride off??

-30 deg.??

-60 deg.??

-60 and up??

thanks
    -Steve

'89 Toyota Supra Targa N/A
    '90 Supra Turbo- mods in profile
    '96 Kat 750-mods in profile--SOLD!!
    '96 Honda CBR900rr -- I go outside and hump it at night.
    '02 Honda CBR954rr -- Red, 'cause it's faster!

It really seems to very on the bike. I will usually let my warp up about 5 to 15 seconds, then cut the choke. If it dies, I will restart it without choke, and take off from there. I don't like to run on choke to much, because it really fouls the plugs.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Re: Warm up idle...how long??

If the weather is down around freezing, I'd say about eight to ten minutes.
      Add another 2 to 3 minutes for each ten degrees (F) lower.
      In 50 weather, 3 to five minutes should more than sufficient -- you're trying to make sure the oil gets warmed up and is flowing through all the passages and has coated all the bearing journals before you ride off (i.e. - before you put any stress on the motor).
      Thus, even at 90 degrees, when the oil is quite liquid, you still want to let it idle for a couple minutes just to get the oil moved around and coating everything.

KNOW THIS:
      I've talked to a few chauffeurs (NYC area) and many cab drivers (mostly Europe), and every single one of them told me they let their car engines idle at least five to ten minutes before pulling out for the day, summer or winter... these guys were driving major investments (their own limo's and mercedes taxi's) and were getting over 400k out of their motors before needing to replace the engine or rings (or vehicle). I suspect the fact that the typical car engine gets weak and starts to give up the ghost between 100k and 200k relates mostly directly to wear induced at start-up (people jumping in and pulling away immediately). And I believe the same can be said of motorcycle engines...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

man cyber is there anything you dont know???lol

Comment

-30 degrees ? I'd say you're NUTS if you're riding it THAT cold .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Can vary too depending on where the bike is stored. If its stored in a climate controlled garage, then warm up time wont take as long as if its stored outside.

In the summer, when I start my bike, I let it warm up w/ the choke on for about 30 Seconds or so at the most.. enough time to put on my jacket and Helmet.. then I dis engage the choke and let it idle at normal RPM's till I get my gloves on do a quick pre trip, then Im off.

If its colder outside or the bike hasnt been started in quite a few days, I'll let it warm for maybe 30 seconds on 3/4 choke then back it down to 1/3 choke and let it idle for another 30 seconds or so. Works out well for me usually.

Comment

Working...
            X